The velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth.

In summary, we have found an expression for the velocity of the rocket when the fuel runs out and an expression for its height at any given time.
Mastablade

Homework Statement

So if a rocket is launched vertically from the surface of the earth, the rocket has a mass of 1000 kg and has a fuel load of 12000 kg. The fuel burns at such a rate that it will be exhausted after 180 secs. The exhaust velocity of the burned fuel relative to the rocket is 2000 m/sec. Assume an air resistance proportional to the velocity with proportionality constant b = 100 n-sec/m and that the gravity is constant. Find the velocity and height of the rocket when the fuel runs out.

Homework Equations

Force = mass * acceleration = mass * gravity - air resistance * velocity\
Mass = 13000 (weight of rocket and fuel) - 66.66t (weight of fuel lost per second or 12000/180)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, naturally, I want to find the velocity with the above equation. So with inserting the known values into the equation it becomes,
(13,000 - 66.66t)a = (13,000 - 66.66t) * 9.8 (gravitational constant - 100 (air resistance) * v
dividing mass to the other side I get.
a = 9.8 - (100 * v) / (13,000 - 66.66t)
Since I will have to integrate a in get it in terms of v, I divided the right half to the left half
dv/dt (acceleration) / 9.8 - (100 * v) / (13,000 - 66.66t) = 1 dt
Integrate both sides (I had to use a program to solve this)
(-6666t - 130)ln(-653.268t - 100v + 127,400) = t
now we have to get v by itself so,
ln (-653.268t - 100v + 127,400) = t / (-6666t - 130)
Get rid of the ln,
-653.269t - 100v + 127,400 = e ^ (t / (-6666t - 130)
more simple rearranging gets
-100v = e ^ (t / (-6666t - 130) + 653.269t - 127,400
v = -(e ^ (t / (-6666t - 130) + 653.269t - 127,400) / 100
now we have to subtract the exhaust velocity from all this equaling

v = (-(e ^ (t / (-6666t - 130) + 653.269t - 127,400) / 100) - 2000

This should give the velocity of the rocket when the fuel runs out. I theorize that to find the height you simply have to take the integral of this function, and since I don't want to re-write that mess (at least not without knowing if I am actually correct in that assumption), I would greatly appreciate if someone could analyze this work and see if I both found the correct velocity and am correct in how to find the height. Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:You are almost there. You have a differential equation which you can solve by separation of variables:$$\frac{\mathrm{d}v}{dt} = \frac{\mathrm{d}\left(-\frac{\mathrm{e}^{\frac{t}{-6666t-13000}} - 653.269t + 127400}{100}\right)}{\mathrm{d}t} = \frac{-\frac{1}{-6666t-13000}\mathrm{e}^{\frac{t}{-6666t-13000}} - 653.269}{100} - 2000$$Integrating both sides and using the fact that $v(t=0) = 0$ gives you the following expression for the velocity:$$v(t) = -\frac{1}{100}\left(-\frac{1}{-6666t-13000}\mathrm{e}^{\frac{t}{-6666t-13000}} - 653.269t + 127400\right) - 2000$$Now, to get the height, simply integrate this expression with respect to time.Since you already integrated in the previous step, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to write$$h(t) = h(0) + \int_0^t v(\tau)\,\mathrm{d}\tau$$where $h(0)$ is the initial height (which is 0 in our case).The integral is very complicated, but you can easily compute it by using a computer algebra system like Mathematica or Maple.

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a rocket launched vertically from the earth?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a rocket launched vertically from the earth is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does the mass of the rocket affect its velocity and height?

The mass of the rocket does not affect its velocity or height. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a rocket with a larger mass will experience a greater force of gravity, but it will also have a greater thrust force to counteract it, resulting in the same velocity and height as a rocket with a smaller mass.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth?

The velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth have a direct relationship. As the rocket's velocity increases, its height will also increase. This is because the rocket is constantly accelerating due to the force of gravity, causing it to gain speed and height.

4. Can the velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth ever reach infinity?

No, the velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth cannot reach infinity. This is because as the rocket gains height, it will also experience air resistance, which will eventually slow it down. Additionally, the force of gravity will decrease as the rocket moves further away from the earth's surface, resulting in a constant acceleration instead of an infinite one.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the velocity and height of a rocket launched vertically from the earth?

The angle of launch does not affect the velocity of a rocket launched vertically from the earth. However, it can affect the height of the rocket's trajectory. A rocket launched at a shallower angle will have a longer flight path and reach a higher altitude, while a rocket launched at a steeper angle will have a shorter flight path and a lower altitude. This is because the steeper angle will result in a greater horizontal velocity component, causing the rocket to travel further before reaching its maximum height.