Maximum altitude of a rocket in 2D motion and free body motion

In summary, the rocket is initially launched at an angle of 53 above the horizontal with a speed of 75 m/s. After 25 seconds of movement with an acceleration of 25 m/s2, the rocket's engines fail and it continues to move as a free body. To find the maximum altitude, the displacement equation is used with an initial velocity of 60 m/s and an acceleration of 20.0 m/s2, resulting in a maximum altitude of 7750m. However, when applying the same approach to a different question, the answer may vary due to the changing values of initial velocity and acceleration.
optoracko

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched at an angle of 53 above the horizontal with an initial speed of 75 m/s. It moves for 25s along it's initial line of motion with an overall acceleration of 25 m/22. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a freebody.

a) What is the rocket's maximum altitude?

Homework Equations

displacement = V1time + (1/2)a(time)2
V2 = V1 + 2adisplacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I've googled this question after attempting it, and have seen several different methods from my own.

For part a, I'm interpreting it as the maximum vertical displacement. I set up a vector diagram, where the angle between the average velocity vector and horizontal velocity vector is 53. I use sin ratio to solve for the opposite, which is sinTHETA x hyp. This gives me 60m/s. I do the same process to find the vertical acceleration, which is 20.0 m/s2. I plug them into the displacement equation, solve to get 7750m.

Now for the free body motion. Velocity will equal 0 when it gets to it's top. I use the second equation to rearrange for displacement. V2 is 0, V1 is -602, acceleration is -9.81. Essentially, displacement is a negative value. Meaning the max. altitude is still 7750m.

Makes sense to me, but I applied the same approach to a different question (identical) with diff. values. The answer was way off. (I did this to see if my approach was right).

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What will be the rocket's velocity when it runs out of fuel?

V1 is -602
V1 isn't 60m/s because the rocket has been accelerating.

1. What is the maximum altitude that a rocket can reach in 2D motion?

The maximum altitude of a rocket in 2D motion depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, the mass of the rocket, and the force of gravity. It can be calculated using the projectile motion equations and can vary depending on the specific conditions of the rocket's flight.

2. How does free body motion affect the maximum altitude of a rocket?

Free body motion refers to the motion of an object under the influence of external forces, such as gravity and air resistance. These forces can impact the maximum altitude of a rocket by either increasing or decreasing it. For example, air resistance can reduce the maximum altitude by slowing down the rocket's velocity, while gravity can increase it by pulling the rocket towards the ground.

3. What is the role of thrust in determining the maximum altitude of a rocket?

Thrust is the force that propels a rocket forward. It plays a crucial role in determining the maximum altitude of a rocket as it is the primary force that counteracts the force of gravity. The amount of thrust produced by a rocket's engines can impact its acceleration and ultimately, its maximum altitude.

4. Can the maximum altitude of a rocket be increased by changing its shape?

Yes, the shape of a rocket can affect its maximum altitude. A more streamlined and aerodynamic shape can reduce air resistance, allowing the rocket to reach higher altitudes. This is why rockets are often designed with a pointed nose cone and fins to improve their aerodynamics.

5. Is the maximum altitude of a rocket in 2D motion the same as its maximum altitude in 3D motion?

No, the maximum altitude of a rocket in 2D motion is not the same as its maximum altitude in 3D motion. In 2D motion, the rocket's path is limited to a single plane, while in 3D motion, the rocket can move in multiple directions, allowing it to reach higher altitudes. The maximum altitude in 3D motion will also depend on factors such as wind resistance and the rocket's trajectory.