Could Stolen Items Lead to Murder? - The Tragic Case of the Death of Six in Florida

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: You're comparing a murder from 1997, to 6 kids getting beaten so badly to death that one person couldn't... wait, what? :eek:
Dagenais
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/08/bodies.found/index.html [Broken]

Sheriff Ben Johnson said the murder was organized by a man who was angry because he believed his Xbox video game system and some clothes had been stolen.

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What the heck does this have to do with politics? Interesting tan line on the white dude, by the way.

loseyourname said:
What the heck does this have to do with politics? Interesting tan line on the white dude, by the way.
Right on both counts. Moving to general discussion.

What the heck does this have to do with politics?

World Affairs?

The fact that only stuff like this can happen in the USA?

Beating someone to death because he stole your XBox. Canada? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Dagenais said:
World Affairs?

Note: World Affairs does not mean US Affairs.

Do they have X-boxes in Canada?

Dagenais said:

Lmao, funny you should say that.
My friends and I rented a house for the summer just to throw parties. Anyway, one night an Xbox got stolen from the house during the party. We were all kind of upset, but then after the party the guy came back to steal an amp. My friend caught the guy unhooking the amp and threw him across the room and was going to kick his butt bad. But his friends restrained him, the kid was scared and returned the Xbox.

So yeah, don't be so sure stuff like that can't happen in Canada.

Last edited:
So yeah, don't be so sure stuff like that can't happen in Canada.

Having thoughts of kicking someone's ass, and then not doing it, while you catch a person in the act of jacking your stuff is completely different than killing 6 people with a bat because they may or may not have stolen your XBox.

loseyourname said:

Oh, really? Then why are the majority of the topics in "Politics & World Affairs" about America's war with the middle east and America's election?

Dagenais, there are idiot's everywhere who'll kill someone for little or no reason. I suspect that there are places in Canada where if an Xbox jacking, like the one I experienced, occurred someone might have been killed. It just takes the right situation and the right idiot. Granted, murder rates in the United States are higher than in Canada, but it doesn't mean stupid stuff like this can't and doesn't happen here.

Dagenais said:
Oh, really? Then why are the majority of the topics in "Politics & World Affairs" about America's war with the middle east and America's election?
Because what happens in America affects the world.

Not to mention that the election falls under politics and the war in the middle east falls under world affairs.

Dagenais, there are idiot's everywhere who'll kill someone for little or no reason. I suspect that there are places in Canada where if an Xbox jacking, like the one I experienced, occurred someone might have been killed. It just takes the right situation and the right idiot. Granted, murder rates in the United States are higher than in Canada, but it doesn't mean stupid stuff like this can't and doesn't happen here.

Never read any stories in the Montreal Gazette about someone allegedly stealing an XBox, then getting killed with a bat afterwards.

Of course, this is just Quebec. Care to link me to an article demonstrating where a kid got killed due to a stolen XBox?

Let's rewind back 7 posts:

Dagenais said:
[Quote:]

Let's rewind back 7 posts:

Quote:
Ok, what happens politically in America affects the world.

Well, here’s a story from Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/21/canada/virk040621 [Broken]

:cry: :surprise: :cry: :eek:
Recently in south of France, some guy refused to give a cigaret to a random request. A few minutes later, he was stabbed to death with a chop. His girlfriend saw everything, but managed to escape.

I believe it's coming from the US, and spreading all over the world. :grumpy:

ok CLEARLY we have Xbox's in Canada.

humanino said:
:cry: :surprise: :cry: :eek:
Recently in south of France, some guy refused to give a cigaret to a random request. A few minutes later, he was stabbed to death with a chop. His girlfriend saw everything, but managed to escape.

I believe it's coming from the US, and spreading all over the world. :grumpy:

I read of stupid people, doing stupid things, from all over the world. not just the us.

Well, here’s a story from Canada.

You're comparing a murder from 1997, to 6 kids getting beaten so badly to death that one person couldn't even be identified?

From 1997?

Had a little trouble finding a good comparison?

I believe it's coming from the US, and spreading all over the world.

Let's hope it'll stop.

We don't need their mentality anywhere outside America.

Last edited:
Oh, in case you forgot, there are women being beaten daily in Islamic countries for failing to wear a vail properly. Inhumane behavior happens everywhere. I realize Canada is the perfect country and nobody there ever commits a psychotic act that results in the death of another person for no good reason. You'll have to forgive the rest of the world for not being so perfect.

merak said:
I read of stupid people, doing stupid things, from all over the world. not just the us.
I believe he was being facetious.

Few rational arguments can be made that depend on only one data point, Dagenais. There has only been one such event in recorded history. The fact that it happened in the US does not mean the US is the only place it could have happened. You are making sweeping generalizations, which I know is your normal modus operandi. Just don't expect the rest of us with more neurons to agree with your presumptive conclusions.

- Warren

Dagenais said:
You're comparing a murder from 1997, to 6 kids getting beaten so badly to death that one person couldn't even be identified?

From 1997?

Had a little trouble finding a good comparison?

C'est dommage.

I just googled "Canada teen murder" and that’s one of the first things I found. I didn't bother looking for anymore. Here's a snip from the article:

Taylor says Ellard in a very casual tone described how she stomped on Virk's face, put her foot on her head and held it underwater while she smoked a cigarette.

So, yeah that's pretty bad. Of course I'm not going to find an exact comparison for Canada, but murders happen all over the world.

Dagenais said:
The fact that only stuff like this can happen in the USA?

Yes, the Xbox killings were really bad, but don't act like that can't happen Canada.

That's another thing that bother's me about a lot of Canadians; their smug "we're better than the US" attitude. It's almost as bad as a lot of Anglophone Canada's dislike of Quebec. Personally, I would rather live here in Canada than in the US. I'm not pleased with the US in many respects, but I don't think we're "better" than Americans.
While this may not be your belief, I just wanted to get that out of the way.

check,

Dagenais has a long history of using very dubious debate tactics here on PF. He commonly makes wide generalizations based on extrema. He also commonly cites single isolated examples as arguments against thousands of counter-examples, then continues to act as if he is making a strong argument. He's either a troll or a seriously ill-equipped debater. You probably shouldn't spend too much time trying to argue with him.

- Warren

Noted. Thanks chroot.

chroot said:
check,

Dagenais has a long history of using very dubious debate tactics here on PF. He commonly makes wide generalizations based on extrema. He also commonly cites single isolated examples as arguments against thousands of counter-examples, then continues to act as if he is making a strong argument. He's either a troll or a seriously ill-equipped debater. You probably shouldn't spend too much time trying to argue with him.

- Warren

and

Few rational arguments can be made that depend on only one data point, Dagenais. There has only been one such event in recorded history. The fact that it happened in the US does not mean the US is the only place it could have happened. You are making sweeping generalizations, which I know is your normal modus operandi. Just don't expect the rest of us with more neurons to agree with your presumptive conclusions.

- Warren

You whine twice on the same page about me, saying basically the exact same thing. I knew once I pointed out a fault in America, you would step out and instead of defending your Country, which you can't, you attack me. The truth hurts, doesn't it?

I haven't heard of 6 kids getting killed due to a stolen XBox in Canada. Unless you can link me to an incident like that, it doesn't exist - at least that's your retarded theory.

Oh, in case you forgot, there are women being beaten daily in Islamic countries for failing to wear a vail properly.

You mean the Islamic Countries that US invaded with their guns, tanks, jets and missiles?

I realize Canada is the perfect country and nobody there ever commits a psychotic act that results in the death of another person for no good reason. You'll have to forgive the rest of the world for not being so perfect.

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/research/other_docs/factsheets/canus/default.asp [Broken]

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/s=123/bcw1065594169250/ [Broken]

Dagenais said:
I knew once I pointed out a fault in America, you would step out and instead of defending your Country, which you can't, you attack me. The truth hurts, doesn't it?
I have no interest in defending the US. The US is absolutely riddled with political and social problems. I dislike many things about this country, and have strongly considered moving to another. I am about as unpatriotic as Americans come.

What I am defending is common sense, or, more specifically, reasonable debate tactics. If this Xbox incident had occurred in Britain and you began claiming that it's typical of the British, I would have made the exact same comments about your behavior.
I haven't heard of 6 kids getting killed due to a stolen XBox in Canada.
Again, this is a logical fallacy. Consider the atrocity mentioned by humanino in post #15, which happened in France. I am not running around claiming the US is better than France because the incident happened in France instead of the US, nor am I claiming that stuff like that only happens in France. These are the sort of arguments you're making, and they're myopic and silly.

- Warren

If this Xbox incident had occurred in Britain and you began claiming that it's typical of the British, I would have made the exact same comments about your behavior.

But it didn't occur in Britain, it occurred in the United States. This is all too common. Just one example of where 6 kids were beaten to death in Canada due to them suspected of stealing a toy.
Again, this is a logical fallacy. Consider the atrocity mentioned by humanino in post #15, which happened in France.

If you're going to mention Humanino's post, make sure you include important parts that characterizes the purpose of their post. He added an extremely important sentence at the end that you forgot to mention:

Humanino:

I believe it's coming from the US, and spreading all over the world.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard about this! I live in Florida, I know someone who knew one of the killers.

Dagenais said:
But it didn't occur in Britain, it occurred in the United States.
And atrocities occur all over the world. It's fair to say that statistically, the US has more crime than other countries. It's not fair to say that this incident could only have occurred in the US.
If you're going to mention Humanino's post, make sure you include important parts that characterizes the purpose of their post. He added an extremely important sentence at the end that you forgot to mention:
And humanino's opinion of its motivation somehow affects the factuality of the event having occurred in France? Can he provide some evidence that supports his opinion that somehow the US was involved in making this French citizens do what he did? Are you willing to argue that every single atrocity ever committed, anywhere in the world, is the US's fault?

This is what I mean by a logical fallacy, Dagenais: you cling to the tiniest anecdotes that support your position -- even just someone else's unsupported opinion -- and use them to defend yourself like a rabid dog, all the while disparaging or ignoring the much greater contrary evidence that disgrees with you. You'll use one person's logically fallacy to support your own. Absolutely incredible, if you ask me.

- Warren

Dagenais has a long history of using very dubious debate tactics here on PF

At least I stick to the truth and I don't spew lies like you do.

Chroot uses his administration powers. If you're right, he's invade your posts and remind you that he has "Admin Powers".

An example

In another thread, in which Chroot and I had a disagreement, the moderator cleaned the thread up.

However, Chroot could still see the posts that were deleted, I could not. He lied and claimed that I had 0 support in that thread. That nobody in the thread agreed with me. He could see the posts, but I couldn't, so he thought I'd never find out. He probably figured, "he'll never find out that I'm a liar." Too bad for him, that I did eventually find the thread - contrary to his lies, I had a lot more than 0 support.

My point?
You're debate tactics include lies and threats. At least I stick to the truth. Something you fail miserably at. There's a reason a complaint thread was filed about you at "Feedback", maybe you should think about that.

Last edited:
And humanino's opinion of its motivation somehow affects the factuality of the event having occurred in France? Can he provide some evidence that supports his opinion that somehow the US was involved in making this French citizens do what he did?

His opinion is extremely important to me. He's not American, therefore his opinion may be less biased.

You acted as if he was supporting the US in his post.

What are you going on about now? Are you really going to bring that up again? Your only support was one person saying he was sure there an OpenBSD virus (yet he couldn't name any or offer any evidence of any), and your buddy forum administrator who said he thought there could be one too (yet he couldn't name or any offer any evidence of any).

If you call that a victory, fine, pat yourself on the back. :rofl: Leave it at the door though, and stay on topic in this thread.

- Warren

chroot said:
What are you going on about now? Are you really going to bring that up again? Your only support was one person saying he was sure there an OpenBSD virus (yet he couldn't name any or offer any evidence of any), and your buddy forum administrator who said he thought there could be one too (yet he couldn't name or any offer any evidence of any).

If you call that a victory, fine, pat yourself on the back. :rofl: Leave it at the door though, and stay on topic in this thread.

- Warren

That wasn't my point. The point was that you started 2 posts whining about the way I carry on arguments, when you're even worse. At least I don't have threads @ Feedback from members displeased with the way I carry myself.

Dagenais said:
There's a reason a complaint thread was filed about you at "Feedback", maybe you should think about that.
I have thought about it. My conclusion was that all of the mentors have occasionally been on the receiving end of some flying poop, and it's rarely been justified. I hold a visible public position here, and am not a perfect human capable of making everyone happy. I also make mistakes. It's unavoidable that some people will disagree with my actions.

While we're on the topic of public feedback, perhaps you should think about the fact that virtually every thread you get into on this forum garners at least a few people expressing exasperation at your silly debate tactics.

- Warren

Last edited:
Dagenais said:
That wasn't my point. The point was that you started 2 posts whining about the way I carry on arguments, when you're even worse. At least I don't have threads @ Feedback from members displeased with the way I carry myself.
You have a lot more feedback than you seem to acknowledge; it's scattered all through the threads you participate in. And why would someone post a thread about you in the PF Feedback forum? You're not part of the staff of PF.

- Warren