How Do You Calculate Object Distance in Lens Equations?

• Thread starter sp1974
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to calculate the object distance in millimeters for a sharp image located 68.0 mm behind a 56.0 mm focal length converging lens. The equation used is 1/f = 1/di + 1/do and the approach to solving it is to set di (distance of image) as 68 mm and solve for do (distance of object). However, the computer does not accept this solution and the conversation goes on to discuss different approaches and clarifications on the given information.
sp1974
The homework problem is "A sharp image is located 68.0 mm behind a 56.0 mm focal length converging lens. Calculate the object distance in millimeters"

1/f = 1/di + 1/do

I tried solving based on having focal (f) and distance of image (di) so 1/56 mm = 1/(68 mm + 56 mm) + 1/do
I solved for do coming up with 102.04 mm and the computer doesn't accept

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is di=68+56?

I figured because the focal point was 56 and it says 68 behind it so I thought it would be f distance + the 68

It states it is behind a 56mm focal length lens. Not 68mm behind the focal length of a 56mm focal length lens.

I also did it as 1/56 = 1/68 + 1/do and the computer didnt accept that on as well

ok I figured this one out. I had my numbers flip flopped my numbers when subtracting

What is the distance of an object from a lens?

The distance of an object from a lens is known as the object distance. It is the distance between the object and the optical center of the lens. This distance is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

How does the distance of an object affect the image formed by a lens?

The distance of an object from a lens can affect the image formed in several ways. If the object is closer to the lens, the image will be larger and more magnified. If the object is further away, the image will be smaller and less magnified. Additionally, the distance can affect the focus and clarity of the image. A shorter distance may create a sharper image, while a longer distance may result in a more blurred image.

What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point. It is a measure of the lens's ability to bend light and determine the magnification and focus of the image. The focal length is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and can vary depending on the type of lens.

How does the focal length of a lens affect the distance of an object?

The focal length of a lens is directly related to the distance of an object from the lens. A shorter focal length (wide-angle lens) will result in a shorter object distance, while a longer focal length (telephoto lens) will result in a longer object distance. This means that different focal lengths can create different perspectives and magnifications of the same object.

What is the relationship between the distance of an object and the size of the image formed by a lens?

The distance of an object and the size of the image formed by a lens have an inverse relationship. This means that as the object distance increases, the image size decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the magnification formula and can be calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance.