What is the inverse image of an open set with multiple conditions?

In summary, the inverse image of the open set {t|t<1/2}, {t|t>=1/2 or t<1/4} is the set of values of t such that the function &tau;&sigma;(t) is less than 1/2, which includes all t values greater than or equal to 1/2 and t values less than 1/4. This is because the given function, which is not continuous, can have a value less than 1/2 only when t is either less than 1/4 or greater than or equal to 1/2.
Ed Quanta
Why is the inverse image of the open set {t|t<1/2},
{t|t>=1/2 or t<1/4}?

the t>+1/2 sort of makes sense to me, but can't seem to grasp how t<1/4 is an inverse image

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by inverse image?? A set has an image or inverse image under some function. What function are you talking about?

(My first week in grad school, I was called upon to do a proof in class about "inverse image" of sets. I completely embarrased myself by assuming that, since the word "inverse" was used, f must have and inverse function!)

one thing seems clear, the function will not likely be continuous, since an open set has a non open inverse image (unless the domain is a little special).

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by inverse image?? A set has an image or inverse image under some function. What function are you talking about?

(My first week in grad school, I was called upon to do a proof in class about "inverse image" of sets. I completely embarrased myself by assuming that, since the word "inverse" was used, f must have and inverse function!)

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/math/papers/topology/topology.pdf

At the end of section 3.2 on Multipilication of Paths, they speak of the inverse image of the open set I mentioned earlier.

I suppose the function is the step function y=2t when 0<=t<1/2
and y=0 when t>=1/2

Thanks for the replies

Yes, and it specifically refers to the inverse image under a given function. In particular, the function of the problem you are referring to (on page 5 of your reference) is :
&tau;&sigma;(t)= 2t if 0<= x< 1/2
0 if x>= 1/2
and notes that this is not a "path" because it is not continuous (as mathwonk pointed out from the given solution). (&tau;(t) and &sigma;(t) were defined separately.)

We really need to know that before we can answer your question!

Now, what is the inverse image of {t|t< 1/2}?
That is, what are the values of t such that &tau;&sigma(x)< 1/2?

Well, certainly 0< 1/2 so all t> =1/2 qualifies.
In order that 2t< 1/2, we must have t<1/4. That is certainly less than 1/2 so it fits the formula.
f(t)< 1/2 as long as t is either < 1/4 or >= 1/2 as claimed.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing up.

What is the Inverse Image of an Open Set?

The Inverse Image of an Open Set is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all elements in the domain of a function that get mapped to points in an open set in the range of the function.

How is the Inverse Image of an Open Set different from the Inverse of a Function?

The Inverse Image of an Open Set is a subset of the domain of a function, while the Inverse of a Function is a new function that maps the range of the original function back to its domain. In other words, the Inverse Image of an Open Set is a set of inputs that produce outputs in an open set, while the Inverse of a Function is a function that undoes the original function.

What is the importance of the Inverse Image of an Open Set in mathematics?

The Inverse Image of an Open Set is important in mathematics because it allows us to study the behavior of functions and their domains. It helps us understand how certain inputs produce outputs in specific open sets, and how these sets relate to the overall function.

How is the Inverse Image of an Open Set used in real-life applications?

The Inverse Image of an Open Set is used in many real-life applications, such as data compression, coding theory, and signal processing. It helps in understanding the relationships between different sets of data and how they can be manipulated to achieve desired outcomes.

What are some common misconceptions about the Inverse Image of an Open Set?

One common misconception is that the Inverse Image of an Open Set is the same as the Inverse of a Function. As mentioned earlier, they are two different concepts. Another misconception is that the Inverse Image of an Open Set is only used in abstract algebra, when in fact it has practical applications in various fields of mathematics and beyond.