Can Intercalation of Hydrogen Ions Solve the Problem of Hydrogen Storage?

In summary, scientists believe that if there is a material that can store the same ratio of intercalated hydrogen ions (protons) per host material, any problem with hydrogen storage would be solved.
Stanley514
There exist such interesting issue as intercalation, which seems to allow, for example, to store
4.4 intercalated Li ions per one (!) Silicon atom.The latest is a host material.I think if there will be found a material which would allow to store the same ratio of intercalated hydrogen ions (protons)
per host material,any problem with hydrogen storage would be solved.
Does anybody knows what is difference between intercalation of ions and intercalation of atoms?
Is it different things?Or intercalation of ions is similar to ionic compound such as NCl ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think I've even heard the term 'intercalation' before (any chemists here know it?), it seems to be a term used for DNA mostly. The usual, more general term is 'coordination'.

Anyway, issues with hydrogen storage usually refer to storing H2, not protons.

I don't think I've even heard the term 'intercalation' before

That`s strange.It seems that action of every Li-ion battery is based on this process.
Li ions are intercalated and migrate between different materials.
Some scientist believe that even such thing possible as breathing Li-ion battery.
Instead of migration Li-ions will react with oxigen in air and form Li oxide.
Nanowire battery is based on intercalation of Li ions in Silicon:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/NEA/archive/200008/108677/" [Broken]
Also there exist proton-polymer battery created by NEC:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/NEA/archive/200008/108677/" [Broken]
It seems to be based on intercalation of protons.
Currently it has great power density but low energy density.I would be interested to know
if it is problems of protons intercalation or just question of finding proper material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanley514 said:
That`s strange.It seems that action of every Li-ion battery is based on this process.

It's not the physical phenomena I haven't heard of, it's the specific term 'intercalation' to describe it. I would suggest you use the term 'coordination' when talking about metal ions or protons. That's the usual, specific, term for that.

In all articles about Li ion batteries I met, this process is mentioned as intercalation,
never as coordination:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some potential new hydrogen storage ideas?

Some potential new hydrogen storage ideas include using solid-state hydrogen storage materials, using underground salt caverns, and developing cryogenic storage methods.

2. How do solid-state hydrogen storage materials work?

Solid-state hydrogen storage materials work by absorbing and releasing hydrogen gas at high pressures and low temperatures. These materials can store hydrogen at a higher density than traditional methods.

3. What are the benefits of using underground salt caverns for hydrogen storage?

Using underground salt caverns for hydrogen storage can provide large-scale storage capacity, reduce the risk of hydrogen leaks, and allow for easy transport of hydrogen through pipelines.

4. What is cryogenic storage and how does it work?

Cryogenic storage involves storing hydrogen at extremely low temperatures, typically below -253°C. This causes the hydrogen gas to condense into a liquid state, allowing for a higher storage density.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to implementing new hydrogen storage ideas?

Some challenges and limitations to implementing new hydrogen storage ideas include high costs, limited infrastructure, and safety concerns. Research and development are still ongoing to address these challenges and make new storage methods more viable.