Can the Nature of Reactants Predict Reaction Rates?

In summary, the nature of the reactants, including the number of bonds and physical state, plays a significant role in determining the rate of a reaction. In the case of Fe2+ and Fe3+, a reaction involving Fe2+ would occur faster due to its lesser number of intramolecular bonds compared to Fe3+. Similarly, in the case of oxalate and carbon dioxide, the presence of a 2- charge in oxalate results in faster reaction compared to the stable compound carbon dioxide. However, there is no general approach to predict the kinetics of reactions based on the nature of reactants.
mballaz
So if a reaction involves Fe2+ and the same reaction involves Fe3+, which one would occur at a faster rate? I know that the nature of the reactants has to due something with this difference in the rate of the reaction but I'm not sure how to explain it. what about C2O42- (oxalate) and 2CO2. Which one would occur faster in a reaction in accordance to the nature of the reactants (how many bonds, and physical state)

Here's my attempt: could I say that a reaction with Fe2+ and O2 would have had less intramolecular bonds and therefore as a result of the nature of the reactants, a reaction including FeO would have occurred faster than a reactant of the molecule iron (III) oxide (Fe2O3. for oxalate and 2moles of carbon dioxide, i would just say that the oxalate has a change of 2- therefore it would form a compound whereas carbon dioxide is a stable compund with no charge. As a result, the use of 2CO2 would provide a faster rate of reaction in accordance to the nature of the substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not aware of any approach that will be general enough to allow make reasonable predictions about kinetics.

It doesn't mean such things doesn't exist - but my guess is that there can be many "small rules", applicable only to some narrow classes of reactions, but no general ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of chemistry that studies the relationship between heat energy and chemical reactions or processes.

What is an iron change in thermochemistry?

In thermochemistry, an iron change refers to the transfer of heat energy during a chemical reaction involving iron. This can include reactions such as rusting or the combustion of iron.

How is an iron change measured?

An iron change can be measured using various methods, including calorimetry, which involves measuring the change in temperature of a substance during a reaction involving iron.

What factors can affect an iron change in thermochemistry?

The amount of iron present, the reactants and products involved, and the conditions of the reaction (such as temperature and pressure) can all affect the magnitude of an iron change in thermochemistry.

What are some practical applications of understanding iron changes in thermochemistry?

Understanding iron changes can help in the development of more efficient and effective processes in industries such as steel production, corrosion prevention, and energy production. It can also aid in predicting and controlling the behavior of iron-containing materials in various environments.