Proving the Reducibility of Polynomial f_n(x) for n>=2 and n not prime

• Thread starter burritoloco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the reducibility of a polynomial for n>=2 and n not prime. It is mentioned that if n is even, the polynomial has -1 as a root, making it reducible. However, when n is odd and not prime, it is not clear how to show this. It is suggested to multiply by (x-1) and reduce the polynomial using other factors. It is also mentioned that if p is a prime factor of n and u is a primitive pth root of n, then u is a root of the polynomial. It is clarified that the goal is to factor the polynomial over the rationals, which can be done by using the factorization of x^n - 1
burritoloco

Homework Statement

Prove that for n>=2, n not prime, the following polynomial is reducible
[tex]
f_n(x) = x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} + ... + x + 1
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If n is even, the polynomial has -1 as a root, so it is reducible. But when n is odd (and not prime) I'm not sure how to show it? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you first multiply by (x-1).
Can you then reduce the polynome (other than by (x-1))?

-1 works when 2 is a factor of n because it's a primitive 2nd root of 1. Can you show if p is a prime factor of n and u is a primitive pth root of n, then u is a root of your polynomial?

@Serena: Thank you. If n is not prime, then in particular, the p-th cyclotomic polynomial, p a prime and p|n, divides fn(x). Would there be an easier way to show this without knowing about the factorization of x^n - 1?

@Dick: Oh, I see that I forgot to mention in the question the most important part! I need to factor the polynomial over the rationals! Sry :) Otherwise, by what Serena implies, the answer would be obvious as the n roots of unity except 1 are the roots of fn(x).

Last edited:
To clarify: I meant reduce fn(x) over the rationals!

burritoloco said:
To clarify: I meant reduce fn(x) over the rationals!

If you can deduce that the roots are the pth roots of unity, except for 1, when you multiply all of those factors together, you do get a rational polynomial.

Yes I know :), I've just read it off from my book. Each irreducible factor will be over the rationals (over Z actually). Follows from the factorization of x^n - 1 with cyclotomic factors. Using Mobius inversion formula, it follows that each cyclotomic polynomial has integer coefficients. Thanks!

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to be reducible?

When a polynomial is reducible, it means that it can be broken down into simpler factors. In other words, it can be written as a product of two or more polynomials.

2. How can I prove that a polynomial is reducible?

There are several methods for proving that a polynomial is reducible. One common method is to use the factor theorem, which states that if a polynomial has a root, then it is divisible by the corresponding linear factor. Another method is to use polynomial long division to break down the polynomial into simpler factors.

3. What are some common types of reducible polynomials?

Some common types of reducible polynomials include quadratic polynomials (those with a degree of 2), cubic polynomials (degree of 3), and quartic polynomials (degree of 4). However, any polynomial with a degree higher than 1 can potentially be reducible.

4. Is it possible for a polynomial to be both reducible and irreducible?

No, a polynomial can only be either reducible or irreducible. If a polynomial is reducible, then it can be factored into simpler factors. If a polynomial is irreducible, then it cannot be broken down any further.

5. Why is it important to prove that a polynomial is reducible?

Proving that a polynomial is reducible can provide valuable insights into its properties and behavior. It can also make solving equations and performing other mathematical operations easier. Additionally, being able to identify reducibility can be useful in various fields, such as cryptography, where the factorization of large numbers is a key component of encryption algorithms.