Calculating Pressure Difference for CFM & Hole Size

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the pressure difference and hole size needed to cool a small box using a fan. The purpose is to experiment with different CFMs and hole sizes to see the effects. The conversation also mentions using a fan manufacturer's datasheet to find the pressure differential at a given flowrate. Additionally, a link is provided for calculating flow based on pressure differential.
Wizardsblade
Hey its been a while since I took thermo and I am pretty rusty. I am trying to figure out a system with differential pressures. I can find the temperature difference pretty easy but finding the exact pressure difference is a bit more complicated then I remember.

Situation:
I have a small container that I am removing the air out of at 100 cfm (with a fan) and the container has a small whole on one end. I am trying to figure out about how big the whole needs to be to allow 50CFM in and how much of a pressure difference this will make.

I know that the pressure difference will slow down the fan but for now I am neglecting that.

Purpose:
I am trying to see how much I can cool a small box with a fan. (In the end I would like to be able to try different Cfms out and different whole sizes to see how the different combinations work.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to google this for a few days now and I either don't quite get what I am reading or I am just not finding the answer / equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhapse I should start with an easier question and then I can try to build from there. What equation would you use (or how would I find) the velocity (or CFM) that would happen if there are 2 areas of differing pressure Delta P with an area connecting them A?

I would think this might be some kind of KE PE problem I am just not sure.

A lot of this depends on the fan. The fan manufacturer should have a datasheet showing the fan flowrate vs pressure differential - if you restrict inlet flow to 50CFM, then the fan must only be moving 50CFM out, so you would look up on the graph/table in the datasheet what the pressure differential is at 50CFM for that fan. Usually, if a fan has a rated static pressure and flowrate, the rated flowrate is for a pressure differential of zero and the rated static pressure is for a flowrate of zero.

As for the hole size? That isn't too hard, but you'll need to know the pressure differential first. Here's a page showing the calculations to get flow once you know the pressure differential.

http://gasho.org/rotron%20pages/orifice%20flow%20calculation.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure difference for CFM and hole size?

The formula for calculating pressure difference for CFM (cubic feet per minute) and hole size is: ΔP = (CFM/IA)^2, where ΔP is the pressure difference, CFM is the airflow rate in cubic feet per minute, and IA is the hole area in square inches.

2. How do I determine the hole size for a given CFM and pressure difference?

To determine the hole size, rearrange the formula to solve for IA: IA = √(CFM/ΔP). Simply plug in the values for CFM and pressure difference to find the required hole size in square inches.

3. What is the standard unit of measurement for CFM and pressure difference?

The standard unit of measurement for CFM is cubic feet per minute, and for pressure difference it is usually expressed in inches of water column (in. w.c.) or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does the pressure difference change with an increase or decrease in CFM?

The pressure difference is directly proportional to the CFM. This means that as the CFM increases, the pressure difference will also increase, and vice versa.

5. Can I use this formula for any type of airflow system?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of airflow system, as long as the units are consistent (e.g. CFM and square inches). However, it may not account for other factors that can affect pressure difference, such as friction losses or changes in air density.