I solving an integral over density of states for electrons.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving an integral in a statistical mechanics course, specifically using a substitution of variables or integration by parts to simplify the problem. Other resources such as tables of integrals or software may also be helpful.
mattek1979

Homework Statement

I am trying to retake an old course in statistical mechanics but run into integrals that i simply have forgotten how to solve.

Given an denstiry of states such that
[itex]f(\epsilon)= \frac{1}{|\epsilon |}[/itex] for [itex]\epsilon_{min} \leq \epsilon < 0 [/itex] and 0 elsewhere

Using the mean occupation number for a fermi-dirac distribution, I am supposed to find the fermi energy for N electrons.

Homework Equations

I assume integrating

[itex]dN(\epsilon)=\bar{n}(\epsilon)f(\epsilon)d\epsilon[/itex]

using
[itex]\bar{n
}=\frac{1}{e^{-\beta(\epsilon-\mu)}+1}[/itex]

and the above

[itex]f(\epsilon)=\frac{1}{|\epsilon|}[/itex]
is the way to proceed.

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral I seek to solve is

N=[itex]\int^{\epsilon_{min}}_{0}\frac{1}{|\epsilon|}\frac{1}{e^{-\beta(\epsilon-\mu)}+1}d\epsilon[/itex]

and I simply can't figure out if I need to do a subtitution of integration variables or if i am missing some other nifty technique.

All help appreciated

Sincerely
Mathias Kristoffersson

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mathias,

It looks like you are on the right track with your approach. To solve this integral, you may want to consider using a substitution of variables. Let u = e^(-beta(epsilon-mu)) and see if that helps you simplify the integral. You may also want to try using integration by parts to see if that leads you to a solution. Additionally, you can try looking up tables of integrals or using software such as Mathematica to help you with the integration. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is an integral over density of states for electrons?

An integral over density of states for electrons is a mathematical calculation used in physics and materials science to determine the distribution of electrons in a given material. It takes into account the energy levels available to electrons in a material and calculates the probability of finding an electron at a specific energy level.

2. Why is it important to solve an integral over density of states for electrons?

Solving an integral over density of states for electrons allows scientists to understand the electronic properties of a material, such as its conductivity and magnetic properties. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing electronic devices and materials for various applications.

3. How is an integral over density of states for electrons calculated?

The calculation of an integral over density of states for electrons involves summing up the contributions of all possible energy levels to the total density of states. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as integration or numerical methods.

4. What factors affect the density of states for electrons?

The density of states for electrons is affected by several factors, including the material's band structure, temperature, and defects or impurities present in the material. These factors can alter the energy levels available to electrons and thus change the overall density of states.

5. Can an integral over density of states for electrons be solved analytically?

In most cases, an integral over density of states for electrons cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods to obtain a solution. This is due to the complexity of the energy levels and their contributions to the total density of states. However, there are some simplified models and systems where an analytical solution can be found.