Preparing for PGRE: My Recommended Reading List

In summary: I have no experience with that book. It doesn't mean it's not good. If it covers the topics in a standard, second year modern physics course, it should be fine.
Rose.w
These are the books that i have decided to study from for my PGRE...Any advice and recommendations are needed...

Fundamentals of Physics : Halliday, Resnick and Walker
Introduction To Electrodynamics : David J. Griffiths
Introduction To Quantum Mechanics : David J. Griffiths
Optics : E Hecht
Heat and Thermodynamics : Mark W Zemansky and Richard Dittman
Feynman's Lectures

please tell me what you think...thank you.. :D :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Those should cover most of the material on the test. Personally, I recommend Shroeder's "Thermal Physics." It's not the most in-depth undergrad book on the subject, but I think it's written at a level perfect for PGRE Review.

Remember to study to the test! There are four released PGRE exams. Check those out and see what topics the GRE people like, and make sure you know those cold. Also, make sure to take two of those practice exams under test like conditions.

G01 said:
Those should cover most of the material on the test. Personally, I recommend Shroeder's "Thermal Physics." It's not the most in-depth undergrad book on the subject, but I think it's written at a level perfect for PGRE Review.

Remember to study to the test! There are four released PGRE exams. Check those out and see what topics the GRE people like, and make sure you know those cold. Also, make sure to take two of those practice exams under test like conditions.

yes..i definitely will..Thanks...
Also,is there any other book i'll be needing?

The only thing I think you may want to add is a modern physics book of some sort, just to review special relativity and the classic modern physics experiments (Frank-Hertz, Photoelectric Effect, Thompson e/m, etc.). The PGRE sometimes likes to ask questions about these experiments. Also, if you'll want to review relativity and some relativistic kinematics, as there will be a few problems of this type.

The only other thing you'd possibly want is some basic book on elementary particles. Sometimes a few questions on basic elementary particle questions may pop up.

G01 said:
The only thing I think you may want to add is a modern physics book of some sort, just to review special relativity and the classic modern physics experiments (Frank-Hertz, Photoelectric Effect, Thompson e/m, etc.). The PGRE sometimes likes to ask questions about these experiments. Also, if you'll want to review relativity and some relativistic kinematics, as there will be a few problems of this type.

The only other thing you'd possibly want is some basic book on elementary particles. Sometimes a few questions on basic elementary particle questions may pop up.

ok...so Which books would you recommend for that purpose then?

I've never taken a particle course as an undergrad. That was one book I never had. I know Griffith's has a book, but I've seen mixed reviews. You can try looking that up. I'm sure it will be enough to cover the basic particle questions that appear on the GRE.

For modern physics, I used Serway, Moses, and Moyer.

I am like 99% sure that Griffith's Particle Physics book is overkill for the PGRE.

G01 said:
I've never taken a particle course as an undergrad. That was one book I never had. I know Griffith's has a book, but I've seen mixed reviews. You can try looking that up. I'm sure it will be enough to cover the basic particle questions that appear on the GRE.

alright...thanks...

G01 said:

n1person said:
I am like 99% sure that Griffith's Particle Physics book is overkill for the PGRE.

how about beiser's book of modern physics?

Rose.w said:
how about beiser's book of modern physics?

I have no experience with that book. It doesn't mean it's not good. If it covers the topics in a standard, second year modern physics course, it should be fine.

ok then..i'll try out that one...

1. What is the PGRE and why is it important?

The PGRE, or Physics GRE, is a standardized test used by many graduate programs in physics to evaluate applicants. It covers a wide range of physics topics and is used to assess a student's readiness for graduate level coursework. A good score on the PGRE can greatly improve your chances of being accepted into a top graduate program.

2. How should I prepare for the PGRE?

Preparing for the PGRE involves studying a wide range of physics topics, practicing with sample questions, and familiarizing yourself with the test format. It is important to start studying early and to dedicate a significant amount of time to reviewing and practicing. It may also be helpful to join a study group or work with a tutor to improve your understanding of difficult concepts.

3. What resources are recommended for studying for the PGRE?

There are many resources available for studying for the PGRE, including review books, practice tests, and online resources. Some popular review books include "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn and Adam Anderson and "Cracking the GRE Physics Test" by The Princeton Review. The PGRE website also offers free practice tests and a list of suggested textbooks for each topic covered on the test.

4. How can I improve my score on the PGRE?

In addition to studying and practicing, there are a few tips that can help you improve your score on the PGRE. These include familiarizing yourself with the test format and instructions, pacing yourself during the test, and guessing strategically if you are unsure of an answer. It is also important to focus on your strengths and weaknesses and target your studying accordingly.

5. Is it necessary to take the PGRE for all physics graduate programs?

Not all physics graduate programs require applicants to take the PGRE, but many top programs do. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the PGRE is necessary. Even if it is not required, a good score on the PGRE can still strengthen your application and give you a competitive edge in the admissions process.