Diffraction Patterns: Calculate Wavelength of Light

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the wavelength of monochromatic light using the diffraction pattern formed by a single slit. The distance between the positions of zero intensity on both sides of the central maximum is given, and the equation for determining the wavelength is provided. The individual attempting the solution uses the formula but gets the wrong answer, and it is suggested that they may have used the wrong angle. Another suggestion is made to use half of the given distance in the equation.
roam

Homework Statement

A beam of monochromatic light is incident on a single slit of width 0.560 mm. A diffraction pattern forms on a wall 1.35 m beyond the slit. The distance between the positions of zero intensity on both sides of the central maximum is 2.32 mm. Calculate the wavelength of the light.

Homework Equations

[tex]y=L \ sin \theta_{dark}[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = m \frac{\lambda}{a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = \frac{\lambda}{a}[/tex]

And since

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = \frac{y}{L}[/tex]

We have [tex]\lambda = \frac{ya}{L} = \frac{(2.32 \times 10^{-3})(0.56 \times 10^{-3})}{1.35} = 962.37 \ nm[/tex]

But why is my answer wrong? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

A beam of monochromatic light is incident on a single slit of width 0.630 mm. A diffraction pattern forms on a wall 1.20 m beyond the slit. The distance between the positions of zero intensity on both sides of the central maximum is 2.28 mm. Calculate the wavelength of the light.

Homework Equations

[tex]y=L \ sin \theta_{dark}[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = m \frac{\lambda}{a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = \frac{\lambda}{a}[/tex]

And since

[tex]sin \theta_{dark} = \frac{y}{L}[/tex]

We have [tex]\lambda = \frac{ya}{L} = \frac{(2.28 \times 10^{-3})(0.63 \times 10^{-3})}{1.2} = 1197 \ nm[/tex]

But why is my answer wrong? :confused:

I haven't checked you numbers, just the idea but...

Have you taken into account the fact that formulas often work with the angle off the axis/normal to the dark fringe, where as the distance was from the dark fringe on the left to the dark fringe on the right?

PeterO said:
I haven't checked you numbers, just the idea but...

Have you taken into account the fact that formulas often work with the angle off the axis/normal to the dark fringe, where as the distance was from the dark fringe on the left to the dark fringe on the right?

Okay, I tried to do it differently, but the computer still marks me wrong:

[tex]d \ sin \theta_{min} = \lambda[/tex]

[tex]tan \theta = (2.32 \times 10^{-3}){1.35} = 0.0017185[/tex]

[tex]\theta = 0.09846 \ degrees[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = (0.560 \times 10^{-3}) \times sin 0.09846 = 962.4 nm[/tex]

What should I do?

Look at Peters post again.

The angle in the equation is measured from the centre of the pattern.You used a distance of 2.32mm but you should have used half of that distance.

1. What is diffraction and how does it produce patterns?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through openings. When light passes through a small opening, it spreads out and creates a pattern of bright and dark bands known as a diffraction pattern.

2. How can we calculate the wavelength of light from a diffraction pattern?

The distance between the bright spots in a diffraction pattern is related to the wavelength of light by the equation λ = dsinθ, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the openings, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the wavelength of light using a diffraction pattern?

The accuracy of the calculated wavelength can be affected by the size of the opening, the distance between the openings, and the angle of diffraction. The quality of the diffraction grating or the material used to create the pattern can also impact the accuracy.

4. Can diffraction patterns only be produced in visible light?

No, diffraction patterns can be produced in all types of waves, including sound waves, water waves, and even radio waves. In the case of light, the diffraction pattern is most commonly observed in the visible spectrum, but can also be produced in other wavelengths such as infrared and ultraviolet light.

5. How is calculating the wavelength of light from a diffraction pattern useful in scientific research?

Diffraction patterns can provide valuable information about the properties of light and the objects it interacts with. By accurately calculating the wavelength of light, scientists can better understand the behavior of light and use it in various applications such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and astronomy.