Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (3rd edition)

In summary: I'll take the 3rd edition solution manual.Thank you!Ok Sir :) I'll take the 3rd edition solution manual.Thank you!
sphyics
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (3rd edition) by Mary .L. Boas, Does this book has separate solution manual?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I think so. On the internet I've found the solution to the second edition and 1 website claims there's the solution manual for the 3rd.

Edit2: I think I've found it on the Internet. Is the last exercise of the last chapter the exercise 11.18? If so, then the answer to your question seems to be yes.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
Edit: I think so. On the internet I've found the solution to the second edition and 1 website claims there's the solution manual for the 3rd.

Edit2: I think I've found it on the Internet. Is the last exercise of the last chapter the exercise 11.18? If so, then the answer to your question seems to be yes.

Yes the last exercise of the chapter is 11.18, can u share the link please. :) b'coz I'm in real need of the solution manual as I'm self studying this subject.

sphyics said:
Yes the last exercise of the chapter is 11.18, can u share the link please. :) b'coz I'm in real need of the solution manual as I'm self studying this subject.

Providing a link to either a student or an instructor solution manual violates Physics Forums rules. If a student solution manual is available, then you should purchase a legal copy. If there is an instructor solution manual, it is meant for instructors.

George Jones said:
Providing a link to either a student or an instructor solution manual violates Physics Forums rules. If a student solution manual is available, then you should purchase a legal copy. If there is an instructor solution manual, it is meant for instructors.

yes I'm looking for legal copy planning to buy through amazon; BTW if i don't have an instructor, i mean I'm instructing myself, hope so that's not an offense. :) by getting hands on instructor manual.

sphyics said:
yes I'm looking for legal copy planning to buy through amazon; BTW if i don't have an instructor, i mean I'm instructing myself, hope so that's not an offense. :) by getting hands on instructor manual.

Before sending a manual, usually a publisher tries to verify that a person is an instructor at an institution.

George Jones said:
Before sending a manual, usually a publisher tries to verify that a person is an instructor at an institution.

i don't think so, its easily available here https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471099201/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Any idea about the differences in both the edition (2nd and 3rd edition) in terms of number and quality of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
sphyics said:
i don't think so, its easily available here https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471099201/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I was referring to an instructor solution manual that contains solutions to all problems, not a student solution manual, to which you gave a link, that gives solutions to selected problems. I have been asked by publishers a number of times for verification that I am an instructor.
sphyics said:
Any idea about the differences in both the edition (2nd and 3rd edition) in terms of number and quality of problems.

I have taught from the second edition, but I have yet to look at the third edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
I was referring to an instructor solution manual that contains solutions to all problems, not a student solution manual, to which you gave a link, that gives solutions to selected problems. I have been asked by publishers a number of times for verification that I am an instructor.

I have taught from the second edition, but I have yet to look at the third edition.

Ok Sir :)

1. What topics are covered in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (3rd edition)"?

The book covers a wide range of mathematical topics relevant to the physical sciences, including vector analysis, complex variables, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and partial differential equations.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it more suitable for use in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. The explanations and examples are clear and concise, making it accessible for self-study. However, it also includes exercises and problems that are useful for reinforcing concepts in a classroom setting.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this book?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended for understanding this book. However, the book includes a review of these topics in the beginning chapters for those who may need a refresher.

4. How does this edition differ from previous editions?

This third edition includes new sections on matrix norms, the singular value decomposition, the Jordan canonical form, and differential forms. It also has expanded coverage on numerical methods and more exercises and problems.

5. Is this book suitable for advanced students or is it more geared towards beginners?

This book is suitable for both advanced students and beginners. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners. However, it also includes more advanced topics and exercises that would benefit advanced students as well.