Sketching H(sin(x)): How to Graph a Step Function with a Sine Argument

• Thread starter scientific1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the conversation is about how to sketch a function H(sin(x)) when H(x) is a step function. The steps to approach this task include dividing the function into sub intervals and using the definition of H(x).
scientific1

Homework Statement

sketching

Homework Equations

How to sketch H(sin(x)) if H(x) is a step function

How would you start ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific step function in mind? Over what interval are you trying to graph it?

I think the simplest way would be to just divide the whole function up into n sub intervals that are the length of the step.

that was a question on an old exam! nothing more.

the step is assumed
H(x) = 1 if x>0
H(x) = 0 if x<0

scientific1 said:
that was a question on an old exam! nothing more.

the step is assumed
H(x) = 1 if x>0
H(x) = 0 if x<0

Use that definition to write what H(sin(x)) is. (Replace x by sin(x) everywhere in the definition).

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to start sketching H(sin(x))?

The best way to start sketching H(sin(x)) is by first understanding the basic shape and properties of the parent function, which in this case is H(x) = sin(x). This will give you a general idea of how the graph should look like.

2. How do I determine the key points of the graph of H(sin(x))?

The key points of the graph can be determined by plugging in specific values of x into the function, such as x = 0, π/2, π, 3π/2, etc. These values will correspond to the x-intercepts, maxima, and minima of the graph.

3. How can I use transformations to sketch H(sin(x))?

You can use transformations, such as vertical and horizontal shifts, reflections, and stretches, to sketch H(sin(x)). These transformations will affect the shape and position of the graph, so it's important to understand how they work.

4. What is the role of the amplitude and period in the graph of H(sin(x))?

The amplitude of the function, which is the distance from the x-axis to the highest or lowest point on the graph, will determine the vertical scale of the graph. The period, which is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, will determine the horizontal scale of the graph.

5. How can I check if my sketch of H(sin(x)) is correct?

You can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to check your sketch of H(sin(x)). Simply plug in the function and compare your sketch to the actual graph. You can also check if your key points and transformations are accurate.