Calculating water pressure, gauge pressure

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of frictional force between a plug and a pipe wall in a reservoir dam, with a horizontal pipe passing through it at a certain depth. The solution requires calculating the gauge pressure and multiplying it by the pipe's area to get the force of water on the plug. Air pressure can be ignored in this scenario, but it would need to be considered if the problem involved a basin with a plug in the bottom. Bernoulli's equation can also be used, but it reduces to the standard water pressure equation when the fluids are not moving. The pressure of air can "squeeze" into the pipe and affects the water inside it, which is important for understanding concepts like scuba diving.
mm2424

Homework Statement

I've attached an image of a dam. The problem reads as follows: The fresh water behind a reservoir dam has depth D = 15 m. A horizontal pipe 4 cm in diameter passes through the dam at depth d = 6 m. A plug secures the pipe opening. Find the magnitude of the frictional force between the plug and the pipe wall.

Homework Equations

gauge pressure = ρgd

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to this problem seems to entail calculating the gauge pressure and then multiplying it by the area of the pipe to get the force of the water on the plug. I have three questions:

1) Why do we not consider the air pressure above the water here as opposed to only the gauge pressure (ρgd)? Is it because the water in the pipe is not below the air, but rather below rock? I'm not really clear on whether air pressure can only act downward or whether it can "sneak" into crevices like those created by the pipe.

2) If this problem instead involved a giant basin with a plug in the bottom, would we then have to consider the air pressure?

3) I initially tried to approach this problem using Bernoulli's equation, with the velocities equal to 0 on both side. I then realized that Bernoulli's equation reduces to the standard water pressure equation when the fluids aren't moving. Is it fair to say this is true?

Thanks a million!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-12 at 11.26.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-12 at 11.26.13 PM.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 819
Physics news on Phys.org
Air pressure acts equally on both sides, so it can be ignored.

Oh, I see. I didn't even think about how the air is exerting a pressure on the OTHER side of the plug. But with regard to my other question, I assume based on your answer that it's fair to say that the air pressure still exerts an effect on the water in the pipe. It's a bit hard for me to understand how the pressure of the air "squeezes" into the pipe, but I've accepted that none of this stuff is intuitive to me :).

Yah, pressure is strange. It pushes equally in all directions and certainly squeezes into every possible recess. Scuba divers are very familiar with the idea of air pressure adding onto pressure due to the weight of water above them. 33 feet (11 meters) of water equals one atmosphere of pressure. So the pressure on the outside of your body is 2 atmospheres at that depth. You must breath air from your tank at that same pressure or you won't breathe at all!

1) The reason we do not consider the air pressure above the water in this problem is because it is not relevant to the calculation of the frictional force between the plug and the pipe wall. The air pressure above the water would only come into play if there were a difference in pressure above and below the water, which is not the case in this scenario.

2) If the problem involved a basin with a plug at the bottom, the air pressure would still not be relevant as it would not have any impact on the calculation of the frictional force between the plug and the basin wall.

3) Yes, it is fair to say that Bernoulli's equation reduces to the standard water pressure equation when the fluids are not moving. In this case, the water in the pipe is not moving and therefore the use of Bernoulli's equation is not necessary. The standard water pressure equation, which takes into account the depth and density of the water, is sufficient for calculating the gauge pressure and determining the frictional force between the plug and the pipe wall.

1. What is water pressure and how is it calculated?

Water pressure is the force per unit area that a column of water exerts on the base of a container. It is calculated by dividing the force of gravity on the water by the area of the container.

2. What is gauge pressure and how does it differ from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure. Absolute pressure includes the pressure of the atmosphere as well as the pressure of the water.

3. How do I convert between different units of water pressure?

To convert between units of water pressure, you can use the equation 1 atm = 14.7 psi = 101.325 kPa. For example, to convert from psi to kPa, you would multiply the psi value by 6.895.

4. How does water pressure change with depth?

Water pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above. For every 10 meters of depth, the pressure increases by 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi or 101.325 kPa).

5. How does temperature affect water pressure?

Temperature does not have a significant impact on water pressure. The density of water does change with temperature, but this change is minimal and does not significantly affect the pressure calculations.