E=MC^2 Here,say we want to find the energy of a single

In summary, this man is trying to say that because energy is proportional to momentum, if you have a fire that is burning 10,000 watts, you would be shocked instead of burned if you put your hand in it.
AakashPandita
E=MC^2

Here,
say we want to find the energy of a single photon.

that means,
mass of photon x speed of light squared = energy of photon

but a photon is mass less. isn't it?
but how can a photon have no energy?

Physics news on Phys.org

E = mc^2 only applies to objects with mass.

The equation for the energy of a photon is E = hc/w where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and w is the wavelength of the photon.

[itex] E_0 =mc^2[/itex] is the rest energy of a mass, i.e. this is the energy that a mass has when it is at rest. A photon is never at rest, so applying this equation makes no sense.E=mc2 is actually a specific case of a more general equation which gives the energy of a body at any velocity:

[itex]E^2 = p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/itex]

As you can see, when the body is at rest (i.e. the momentum, p, is zero) it reduces into the familiar E=mc2.

This equation can be applied to massless particles as well. Setting m=0 gives us:

[itex]E=pc[/itex]

So a photon has energy which is proportional to its momentum.

AakashPandita said:
that means,
mass of photon x speed of light squared = energy of photon

but a photon is mass less. isn't it?
Please see the FAQ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511175

Last edited by a moderator:

e=pc...you said for calculating energy of mass less particle.
but p=mv...so this too will eventually be 0.

If a fire burns at 10,000 watts, why do I get burned instead of shocked when I put my hand in it?

i don't know

AakashPandita said:
e=pc...you said for calculating energy of mass less particle.
but p=mv...so this too will eventually be 0.
p = mv only holds for particles moving at speeds much less than the speed of light; for massive particles at high speeds you must use the relativistic momentum expression.

The energy of a photon is given by E = hf. You can relate energy and momentum for a photon using E = pc.

russ_watters said:
If a fire burns at 10,000 watts, why do I get burned instead of shocked when I put my hand in it?
Huh? I know you are trying to make a point that is relevant to the thread. And based on history I probably agree with it, but I have no clue what you are getting at.

russ_watters said:

That happened to me when I was 5. I plugged in a cutoff extension cord my father had just removed from an old lamp and ran my hand down the cord. Zap, instant burn. My mother using the remedy of the day rubbed butter on the burn which we know nowadays not to do. The shock convinced me to study math and physics go figure.

What is the meaning of E=MC^2?

E=MC^2 is a mathematical equation developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between energy (E), mass (M), and the speed of light (C). It states that the energy of an object (E) is equal to its mass (M) multiplied by the speed of light (C) squared.

How did Albert Einstein come up with the equation E=MC^2?

E=MC^2 was a result of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which he developed in 1905. Through this theory, he proposed that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other.

What does the speed of light have to do with E=MC^2?

The speed of light (C) is a fundamental constant in the equation E=MC^2. It is in the denominator of the equation, meaning that the higher the speed of light, the more energy an object will have.

Can E=MC^2 be applied to everyday objects?

Yes, E=MC^2 can be applied to everyday objects because everything has mass and can therefore be converted into energy. However, the amount of energy produced is usually very small and not noticeable in everyday life.

What are the implications of E=MC^2 in the field of science?

E=MC^2 has significant implications in the field of science, particularly in understanding the relationship between energy and mass. It is also the basis for nuclear energy and the development of nuclear weapons. Additionally, it has been used in various scientific theories and equations, such as the mass-energy equivalence principle and the Lorentz factor.