Acceleration on an incline with friction

In summary, the problem involves a box of books on a wooden board with coefficients of static and kinetic friction. The angle of the board is increased until the box just begins to slide. The equation (m2g-μm1)/(m1+m2) was attempted, but it was realized that the two frictions do not apply at the same time. The static friction is used to find the angle at which the box begins to slide, and the kinetic friction is used to find its acceleration at that angle. The problem does not require the mass of the object, as the force equation (F=ma) will be a multiple of mass. The angle where the box begins to slide was found to be 17.95 degrees.
luftey
A box of books is initially at rest a distance D = 0.545 m from the end of a wooden board. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the board is μs = 0.302, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.238. The angle of the board is increased slowly, until the box just begins to slide; then the board is held at this angle. Find the speed of the box as it reaches the end of the board.

a=(m2g-μm1)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My homework let's me try another version of the problem (it's online). For that, I did the average of the two frictions plus the distance. It gave the correct anwser, however; that doesn't seem to work for this version of the problem. The above equation is the closest thing that I could find in my book, but, it requires mass which I don't have. Would mass be canceled out I'm guessing? Any help would be appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The "average of the two frictions" plays no roll here. They never apply at the same time. Static friction only applies to an object that is not moving, kinetic friction only applies to an object that is moving. Use the static friction to find when the angle at which the object begins to slide. Then use the kinetic friction to find its acceleration at that angle. This problem, like any problem involving gravity, does NOT require the object's mass. ma= F and F, the force, both force of gravity and the two friction forces, will be a multiple of mass.

Ok thanks, makes sense about the two frictions. I guess it was just blind luck that that worked ;p

How exactly would one find that angle where the object begins to slide? Would it be using the distance(sin)"beta"? I'm pretty sure I can solve it once I figure out how to find it at what angle.

Also, for the "m" in f=ma, I don't really get how it would be a multiple of mass if you can't find a mass for it.edit:I found the angle to be 17.95 deg, would that be correct?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration on an incline with friction?

The formula for calculating acceleration on an incline with friction is a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. How does friction affect the acceleration on an incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, so it will decrease the acceleration on an incline. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline's surface.

3. Can acceleration on an incline with friction ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, acceleration on an incline with friction can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity because friction always acts in the opposite direction of the motion, reducing the acceleration.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration on an incline with friction?

The greater the angle of the incline, the greater the component of gravity acting down the incline, resulting in a greater acceleration. However, as the angle increases, so does the component of friction, which decreases the acceleration. This means that there is an optimal angle where the acceleration is the highest.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the acceleration on an incline with friction?

The coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the frictional force acting on the object. This means that a higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater frictional force, which will decrease the acceleration. A lower coefficient of friction will result in a smaller frictional force and a greater acceleration.