Electric field due to a nonconducting sphere

In summary, we are calculating the electric field at a point P located at a distance R from the right border of a uniformly charged nonconducting spherical surface with net charge +Q. The equation used is E→p = 2keQ(ln2)/R r→ and there is confusion about the concept of electric field due to a charge distribution and the use of Gauss Law to calculate electric field. Another attempt is to construct a gaussian surface and use the equation E→p = kQ/R^2.
cesaruelas

Homework Statement

A spherical nonconducting surface of radius R is uniformly charged in its surface with net charge +Q. Calculate the electric field at a point P which is located at a distance R from the right border of the sphere. Calculate the electric field at a point R/2 at each side of the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

I came up with this.
Let p=Q/V
dq = pdV
V = f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - R = 0
∂V = 2y∂y
and Ep = ke2R-R dq/y^2 r

The Attempt at a Solution

After integration, Ep = 2keQ(ln2)/R r

My question is, am I applying the concept of electric field due to a charge distribution in the correct way? I think I might have got it wrong with the dV component... Also, since the topic is Gauss Law, how am I supposed to use the concept of a gaussian surface to calculate electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
My other attempt would be to construct a gaussian surface enclosing this sphere and express the electric field at p as Q/epsilon*(4*pi*R^2) which would come to kQ/R^2 (same as if i had taken it to be a point charge). THIS... IS... CONFUSING!

1. What is an electric field due to a nonconducting sphere?

The electric field due to a nonconducting sphere is the force per unit charge acting on a charged particle placed at any point outside the sphere. It is created by the distribution of electric charge on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is the electric field due to a nonconducting sphere calculated?

The electric field due to a nonconducting sphere can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. Does the electric field due to a nonconducting sphere vary with distance?

Yes, the electric field due to a nonconducting sphere varies with distance. It follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the sphere increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

4. Can a nonconducting sphere have an electric field inside it?

No, a nonconducting sphere cannot have an electric field inside it. This is because the charges on the surface of the sphere are evenly distributed and cancel out each other's electric fields.

5. How does the electric field due to a nonconducting sphere differ from that of a conducting sphere?

The electric field due to a nonconducting sphere is only present outside the sphere, while a conducting sphere has an electric field both inside and outside it. This is because charges on a conducting sphere are free to move and redistribute, while those on a nonconducting sphere are fixed in place.