Water content in compressed air

In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of water infiltration in a recently installed natural gas main, causing freezing in the customers' regulator and meter. The main was cleaned after installation, but during pressure testing, it is believed that water vapor from the compressed air got into the main. The speaker used a Psychometric chart to calculate the amount of water at atmospheric conditions and is looking for help in calculating the water infiltration at 90 PSIG. They considered using the ideal gas law and steam tables and eventually posted their calculation on a website. The conversation also mentioned that a small amount of water can still have an impact due to the small pipe volume.
JackRuby
Hi-

A recently installed natural gas main is showing evidence of water infiltration. Water is getting into the customers regulator and meter and freezing. The gas main was cleaned and "pigged" after the installation. The system is currently operating at an MAOP of 60 PSIG natural gas.

When the main was pressure tested (at 90 PSIG - air) it is likely that water (in the form of vapor) got into the main from the compressed air (Air compressor).

Using a Psychometric chart I was able to calculate the amount of water at atmospheric conditions (14.7 PSIA). I assumed the Dry Bulb temp was 32 Deg, RH = 99%... etc.. Cameup with 9 lbs.

How would I calculate the water infiltration at 90 PSIG Air? I think I need to use partial pressure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Via the ideal gas law, it would just be the ratio of the two air pressures: 90/14.7 * 9lb=55lb

? I was thinking of using the steam tables - partial pressure? What you are saying makes sense. Can you please confirm?

Thanks again!

JR

Thanks for the ideas...

I think I'm on the right track. The amount of water appears low. However, the actual pipe volume is very small. Still I've read that (for example) On a 75F day with 75 percent relative humidity, a 10-hp compressor can introduce 7 gallons of water into a compressed air system.

Instead of trying to type it all out here - I actually took the time to figure out how to use my free web space that is offered as part of my internet account. I posted the calculation there. Please forgive the very very crude looking web page. See link below.

http://home.comcast.net/~timbickford/htdocs/Water_Vapor_In_Pipe-Rev-1.pdf

Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the ideal water content in compressed air?

The ideal water content in compressed air is typically considered to be less than 0.1 grams of water per cubic meter of air. This level of water content is commonly referred to as "dry" compressed air and is necessary for many industrial and scientific applications.

2. How does water get into compressed air?

Water can enter compressed air through a variety of sources, including ambient humidity, leaks in the compressor system, and residual moisture in the air from the initial compression process. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the compressor system in order to reduce the amount of water entering the compressed air.

3. What are the potential problems caused by high water content in compressed air?

High water content in compressed air can lead to several issues, including corrosion and damage to equipment, reduced efficiency and performance of pneumatic tools, and contamination of products or processes that require dry air. It can also increase the risk of freezing in cold environments.

4. How can I measure the water content in compressed air?

Water content in compressed air can be measured using a variety of methods, including dew point meters, humidity sensors, and moisture traps. These tools can provide accurate readings of the water content in the air and help to identify any issues with the compressor system.

5. What are some ways to reduce the water content in compressed air?

To reduce the water content in compressed air, it is important to properly maintain the compressor system and regularly check for any leaks or sources of moisture. Installing a moisture separator or dryer can also help to remove excess water from the air. Additionally, using compressed air filters can help to remove any contaminants that may contribute to high water content in the compressed air.