Optical lens - Virtual Object

In summary, the conversation discussed the location of an image when an object is placed at the center of curvature of a convergent lens. It was determined that the image is in C', inverted, and the same size as the object. The second question asked about the location of the image when the object is placed at C'. It was determined that the image is in C, inverted, and equal to the object. The conversation also touched on the properties of lenses and how they affect the calculations for object and image distances. It was clarified that object distances are positive for real objects and negative for virtual objects. The conversation ended with a question about considering virtual objects and negative values in calculations.
jaumzaum
I was solving the following problem, and I've got confused at the second question

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7921/43545856.png

1) An object is put at the center of curvature C of a convergent lens. Where is the image? Calculate by gauss equation.

It's obvious that the image is in C', and is inverted and has the same size of the object.
By 1/f = 1/s + 1/s', we get 1/s'= 2/R-1/R => s' = +R (so is in the right of the lens)

2) The object now is put at C'. Where is the image? Calculate by gauss equation.I would say it's also obvious it would be in C, inverted and equal to the object.
Now I have the following property: A lens, if turned changes nothing, s' and i stays the same. A convergent lens if seen from right to left is also convergent and with the same focus.

So I can use 1/R + 1/s' = 2/R, if I consider the light rays are coming from right to left, and I get s' = +R (R left the lens)

But now is the question:

If I consider a virtual object, and the light rays coming from left to right, we have f = +R/2 and s = -R, so we get

1/-R + 1/s' = 1/f => s' = R/3 right the lens. Why I got this wrong result? Can't I consider virtual objects by negative values?

[]'s
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f [itex]\cong[/itex] R/2 for a converging mirror. For a lens, f depends on the index of refraction of the lens, the index of refraction of the surrounding medium, and the radii of curvature of the two faces of the lens.

It doesn't matter which side of a lens you place a "real object". In either case, the object distance would be considered positive. Object distances are negative for "virtual objects".

If light rays from the object are diverging from the object as they reach the lens, then the object is a "real object" and s is positive (no matter which side of the lens the object is located). This is the "usual" case.

If the light rays that are approaching a lens are converging as they approach the lens, then you are dealing with a "virtual object" (no matter which side of the lens the rays are approaching from). The object distance will be the negative of the distance from the lens to the place where the rays would converge to if the lens were not there.

A virtual object is often the result of the light having already passed through a previous lens before passing through the lens that you are dealing with.

1. What is an optical lens?

An optical lens is a transparent material, usually glass or plastic, with curved surfaces that can bend and focus light rays. It is used to refract light and form images of objects.

2. What is a virtual object in relation to an optical lens?

A virtual object is a theoretical point from which light rays appear to originate after passing through an optical lens. It is not a physical object, but its image can be seen through the lens.

3. How does an optical lens create a virtual object?

An optical lens creates a virtual object by refracting light rays that pass through it. The lens bends the light rays in such a way that they appear to originate from a point behind the lens, creating a virtual object.

4. What is the significance of a virtual object in optics?

The concept of a virtual object is important in understanding how lenses and other optical devices form images. It allows us to predict and manipulate the behavior of light rays as they pass through a lens.

5. Can a virtual object be seen with the naked eye?

No, a virtual object is not a physical object and cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is only an image formed by the bending of light rays through an optical lens.