Converting the equation to non standard state

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula for the Q part of Faraday's law of electrolysis that includes pressure and temperature variables. The person is planning to use nickel electrodes and is confused about how to add the variables to the equation. They also mention using LaTeX to input the formula.
dghh70
Here's my problem: I know this formula http://carlschroedl.com/chem/ib_extended_essay.pdf (pg 18) is an extended form of Faraday's law of electrolysis which is m= (Q/F)(M/z) where m is the mass liberated in grams, Q is the total electric charge passing through, F is Faraday's constant, M is molar mass of the subtance, z is the valency of the ions. The part of the long equation I don't know is the Q part of Faraday's law. I plan to do experiements at various temperatures and pressures, so I need a formula for the Q part of the equation that has pressure and temperature variables. If it helps I plan to use nickel electrodes with 5 cm x 1 cm dimensions at room temperature. Please help. I'm so utterly confused. Can the rewritten equation be an image please? You don't need to explain the indivual parts of that Q part; I understand that; I just don't know how to add a temperature and pressure variable to it.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
fixed

1. What is a non-standard state in chemistry?

A non-standard state in chemistry refers to a set of conditions that are different from the standard state, which is 1 atmosphere of pressure and 25 degrees Celsius of temperature. These conditions are used as a baseline for comparing and measuring thermodynamic properties of substances.

2. Why is it necessary to convert equations to non-standard state?

Converting equations to non-standard state allows for more accurate and precise calculations of thermodynamic properties, such as enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs free energy. This is because different substances may have different standard states, and converting to a common non-standard state allows for easier comparison.

3. How do you convert an equation to non-standard state?

The first step in converting an equation to non-standard state is to determine the standard state conditions for all substances involved. Then, using the ideal gas law or other appropriate equations, the concentrations or partial pressures of the substances can be calculated at the desired non-standard state conditions. Finally, these values can be substituted into the original equation to obtain the non-standard state equation.

4. What are some common non-standard state conditions used in chemistry?

Some common non-standard state conditions used in chemistry include 1 bar of pressure, 1 Molar concentration, and 298 Kelvin temperature. However, the specific conditions used may vary depending on the experiment or calculation being performed.

5. Are there any limitations to converting equations to non-standard state?

While converting equations to non-standard state can provide more accurate results, there are some limitations to consider. These include the assumptions made in using the ideal gas law, as well as the potential for experimental error in measuring and controlling the non-standard state conditions. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using non-standard state equations in research or practical applications.