Troubleshooting Win7 Installation: Blank Drive List on Asus M5A97 Motherboard

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    install
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with the installation of Windows 7 on an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. The user is having trouble selecting a drive to install the operating system on, and is unsure if this is due to the motherboard being SATA3 while the drives are SATA2. They also mention trying other hard drives with no success. Another person suggests that the issue may be related to the motherboard not being set to recognize and boot from SATA drives. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consult the motherboard's manual for instructions on how to configure it to recognize and boot from SATA drives.
biferi
I have an. Asus m5a97 let r2.0 motherboard and I am installing win. 64 bit.

When I get to the screen that asks me what drive do you want to install to the list of drives for me to pick from is blank.

My motherboard is. Sata3. And all my drives are. Sata2. Does this keen anything??

Please help and yes I did try other hard drive and nothing.

Thank you for the time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know that particular mobo, but you often have to set the mobo in bios to recognise and boot from SATA drives, before trying to load and OS.

W7 means copying an image file, not actually installing in the conventional sense. When you install XP you get an early option to install SATA drivers if needed (they are supplied by the mobo manufacturer) early on in the install process.

Yes win xp. Asked you for data drivers. But win does not.

Are you telling me I may have to install. Data drivers?

I thought win could handle. Data drives by itself?

but you often have to set the mobo in bios to recognise and boot from SATA drives, before trying to load an OS.

Please note (I have edited it slightly to correct spelling).

I did go into. Bios and set boot option one DVD drive and boot option two data hard drive.

But if I understand you right you are telling to set the bios to see all. Data drives right??

Is this what you meant??

No. As I understand what you have said, your system is already booting from the DVD drive W7 disk, but cannot recognise a hard drive to load it to.

This is because you have not set up the SATA in BIOS.

Go to

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_LE_R20/#download

and download the manual.

Look in section 3.5 of the manual to find how to configure the mobo to recognise and boot from a SATA hard drive. This is under the advance menu in the BIOS control.

OK I think this may help.

I did have win7 installed and it was working.
Then I would came back to my system to see it re started and tells me. Please re boot and pick a boot device.

I used a jumper to clear the. Cmos. And unplugged every hard drive but the c. Drive that has win installed on it.

Then I boot to. Bios. And re load default settings and save and re start.

It boots to windows and all is OK.

So I turn the system off and plug in my other two hard drives and re start and it tells me re boot and pick boot device.

So I unplugged all my drives and re load default bios. Settings. And nothing it stii says re boot and pick boot device and it won't load win?

The hard drives on a PC are logically numbered by the BIOS. The BIOS will include a setup, such as drive boot order or drive priority order, that sets the logical numbering of drives. You should be able to change this order until you finally get your system to boot up. Once it's booting, write down the BIOS drive ordering so you won't have to do this by trial and error if it happens again.

1. Why is my Asus M5A97 motherboard showing a blank drive list during Win7 installation?

The most common reason for a blank drive list during Win7 installation on an Asus M5A97 motherboard is a compatibility issue. Make sure that you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and that your hard drive is properly connected and recognized by the BIOS.

2. How can I fix the blank drive list issue during Win7 installation on my Asus M5A97 motherboard?

If updating your BIOS and checking the hard drive connections does not solve the issue, try changing the SATA mode in your BIOS settings. Some users have reported success by switching from AHCI to IDE mode. You can also try using a different SATA port on your motherboard.

3. Why is my hard drive not showing up in the BIOS on my Asus M5A97 motherboard?

If your hard drive is not showing up in the BIOS, it may be a hardware issue. Check that the hard drive is properly connected to the motherboard and power supply. You may also want to try using a different SATA cable or testing the hard drive on another computer to rule out any hardware problems.

4. Can I install Windows 7 on an Asus M5A97 motherboard?

Yes, Windows 7 is compatible with the Asus M5A97 motherboard. However, you may encounter some compatibility issues, such as the blank drive list during installation, which can be resolved by following the steps mentioned above.

5. Where can I find drivers for my Asus M5A97 motherboard for Windows 7?

You can find drivers for your Asus M5A97 motherboard on the official Asus website. Make sure to select the correct operating system (Windows 7) and download the appropriate drivers for your specific motherboard model.