Legendre symbol proof for (-5/p)

In summary: if p == 1 mod 6, (-3/p) = {-1 for p congruent to -1,0 (mod 6), +1 for p congruent to 1,1 (mod 6)}if p == -1 mod 6, (-3/p) = {-1 for p congruent to -1,0 (mod 6), +1 for p congruent to -2,0 (mod 6)}
abertram28
I am working on some homework that I already handed in, but I can't get one of the problems. The fourth problem on the HW was to prove the forms of (-1/p), (2/p), (3/p), (-5/p), and (7/p).

I did this for -1 and 2 using the quadratic residues and generalizing a form for them. for 3 and 7 i used QRL, since they are both -1 mod 4, can i use QRL for the proof of -5 too? i know i got at least 80% on this problem, and that's a B+, so i should be fine on this problem. could someone please guide me on the first steps of this proof so that i can understand it? 3 and 7 were pretty easy, but I am not sure i got 7 right. most of it was in the book by David Burton that we use. BTW, I am a sophomore in math, so this class is really hard for me. that's why I am coming here for more understanding, that and my profs office hours are short and i use them for linear algebra.

for 3, i showed p congruent to 1 mod 4 for 4|p-1 and congruent to 1 mod 3 for 3|p-1, so 12|p-1, the forms of this p congruent to 3 mod 4 are 3 mod 12, 7 mod 12, 11 mod 12, and p congruent to 2 mod 3, if p congruent to 2 mod 12, 5 mod 12, 8 mod 12, 11 mod 12. the common solutions are p congruent to 1 and 11 mod 12, so its +- 1 mod 12, (3/p)=1, and since 8 is 0 mod 4, toss it, 3 and 9 are 0 mod 3, toss em, so 5,7 yield +- 5 mod 12, (3/p)=-1

can someone lead me through this for -5 now?

sorry for type settting, it wasnt really that necessary for this problem, and I am in a lab where i don't have much time left. sorry for long paragraphs too!

Physics news on Phys.org
First break it into cases depending on what (-1/p) is, which you should know everything about. Then use quadratic reciprocity to determine (5/p), according to what p is mod 5.

ok, i see. I am needing to break (-5/p) into (5/p)(p/5)(-1/p) and solve for all the common congruences?

i get (-5/p) = {1 for p congruent to 1,9 (mod 20) and -1 for p congruent to -1,-9 (mod 20)}

is that right?

*EDIT* oops, don't i need to hit 3,7,13,17? *works on second half* *EDIT*

*2nd EDIT*

so, for p congruent to 3 (mod 20), both (-1/p) and (5/p) are -1, so 3 goes in the 1s, p congruent to 7 (mod 20), both (-1/p) and (5/p) are -1, so 7 goes in the 1s too, p congruent to 13, (-1/p) is 1, so its a -1s, same with 17...

so its (-5/p)={1 if p congruent to 1,3,7,9 (mod 20), -1 if p congruent to -1,-3,-7,-9 (mod 20)}

*2nd EDIT*

Last edited:
what would the proof be if it was to be (-3/p)? i know it is suppose to end up as =1 if p == 1 mod 6, and -1 if p == -1 mod 6, but why?

Last edited:

1. What is the Legendre symbol?

The Legendre symbol is a mathematical function used in number theory to determine whether a given number is a quadratic residue modulo a prime number. It is denoted by (a/p), where "a" is an integer and "p" is an odd prime number.

2. How is the Legendre symbol used in the proof for (-5/p)?

In the proof for (-5/p), the Legendre symbol is used to determine the solvability of the congruence x^2 ≡ -5 (mod p). If (-5/p) = 1, then the congruence has two distinct solutions, and if (-5/p) = -1, then the congruence has no solutions.

3. What is the significance of (-5/p) in number theory?

The Legendre symbol for (-5/p) is significant in number theory because it is closely related to the existence and distribution of prime numbers. It is also used in various mathematical algorithms, such as the quadratic sieve algorithm, for factorizing large numbers.

4. How is the Legendre symbol calculated for (-5/p)?

The Legendre symbol for (-5/p) is calculated using Euler's criterion, which states that if "a" is an integer and "p" is an odd prime number, then (a/p) ≡ a^((p-1)/2) (mod p). In the case of (-5/p), this simplifies to (-5/p) ≡ (-1)^((p-1)/2) * (5/p).

5. Can the Legendre symbol be extended to non-prime moduli?

Yes, the Legendre symbol can be extended to non-prime moduli using the Law of Quadratic Reciprocity. This law states that for any two distinct odd prime numbers p and q, (p/q) * (q/p) = (-1)^((p-1)/2 * (q-1)/2). This allows us to calculate the Legendre symbol for any integer "a" and odd number "n" by reducing it to the Legendre symbol for a prime number modulo n.