Shield low-frequency magnetic fields, but not high-frequency ones

In summary, if you want to shield a volume from a 1T magnetic field, you will need a material with the highest coercivity (or saturation field level) possible. Mu-metal is inappropriate because it sacrifices coercivity. You can use iron, and lots of it, to achieve a shielding factor of 10^4. Another thought is to build a magnetic shield with open ends that functions as a waveguide beyond cutoff below 10kHz.
kvt
I am wondering if it is possible to shield strong (1 Tesla) DC magnetic fields with high attenuation factor (10^4 or better) WITHOUT also shielding AC magnetic fields above frequencies of ~10kHz.

I have looked at mu-metal, which as far as I can tell shields DC but also AC fields to some extent, and active magnetic shielding, for which I could not find anything with a high enough shielding factor.

The to-be-shielded region would be approximately 0.1m x 0.5m x 0.5m in size.

Physics news on Phys.org
To shield your volume from a 1T ambient field, you need a material with the highest coercivity (or saturation field level) possible. Mu-metal is inappropriate because it sacrifices coercivity in order to get high permeability. You'll be using iron, and lots of it. If you could settle for a small shielding factor, you might use disconnected slabs at a large distance--the windows between them would let high frequencies penetrate. It won't be easy to achieve a 10^4 shielding factor this way, however.

Another thought is to build a magnetic shield with open ends that functions as a waveguide beyond cutoff below 10 kHz. I expect it will be quite large compared to the dimensions you list.

A wider, more "out there" thought--maybe you could install something akin to a cell-phone "repeater" inside your closed shield, that is, put a big antenna inside that is connected to a big antenna outside.

There are two parts here.

1) Sans AC shielding. This means you're going to either need either a thin metal (E&M textbooks calculate the frequency dependent penetration depth using Maxwell equations), or an insulator. The only ferromagnetic insulator that comes to mind is Yttrium Iron Garnet (YIG) and its 4pi Ms isn't very large.

2) Magnetic shielding. The geometry and dynamics of your field source is important here. Without specific details, I can only give a general approach:

Any ferromagnetic material you do use, can be thought of as a collection of of little dipoles (i.e. North South magnets). Your task is to arrange them such that they cancel the field in the desired location. If you use high coercivity material, you can think of your little N-S magnets having a fixed orientation in space. A highly permeable material means your little N-S are free to re-orient themselves. They will try to align themselves with the local field. The local field will be a combination of the neighboring N-S magnets, the applied field, exchange field, and anisotropy fields...

Ok, this is getting a little more involved than I expected. If you have time, download a copy of OOMMF or NMAG and just numerically simulate the system. They're both open source (i.e. free). Expect about a week of learning. OOMMF get's kind of tricky, but I don't know if NMAG is any better. Post here if you get stuck.

1. What are low-frequency magnetic fields?

Low-frequency magnetic fields are electromagnetic fields with a frequency lower than 100 kilohertz (kHz). They are produced by electronic devices and power lines, and can penetrate most materials, including human tissue.

2. What are high-frequency magnetic fields?

High-frequency magnetic fields are electromagnetic fields with a frequency higher than 100 kHz. They are produced by devices such as cell phones, Wi-Fi routers, and microwaves. Unlike low-frequency fields, they are easily blocked by most materials.

3. How do low-frequency magnetic fields affect us?

Studies have shown that exposure to low-frequency magnetic fields can have potential health effects, including an increased risk of cancer, neurological disorders, and reproductive issues. However, the evidence is inconclusive and more research is needed.

4. Why is it important to shield low-frequency magnetic fields?

Shielding low-frequency magnetic fields is important because it can reduce our exposure to potentially harmful electromagnetic radiation. By blocking or redirecting these fields, we can minimize any potential health risks associated with long-term exposure.

5. How can we shield low-frequency magnetic fields?

There are various methods for shielding low-frequency magnetic fields, such as using specialized shielding materials or creating a physical barrier between the source of the field and the area you want to protect. It is also important to limit the use of electronic devices and avoid living near high-voltage power lines to reduce exposure to low-frequency fields.