Solve Thevenin Problem: Get Help Here!

• Thread starter Bill13
  • Start date
In summary, the Thevenin theorem is a circuit analysis method that simplifies a complex circuit into an equivalent circuit with one voltage source and one resistor. To apply it, the load resistor is identified and removed, and the Thevenin voltage and resistance are found to create the equivalent circuit. The advantages include easier analysis and finding maximum power, but it is limited to linear circuits and steady states. It can also be used for both AC and DC circuits, but the calculations may differ for AC circuits.
Bill13
Hi all! I need some help with a thevenin problem(attachment).I have searched all the web but all the solutions are for same direction loops.

Here is my attempt until now:

Rth=100*50/150=33.3Ω

Ι= 10+10/150=0.13Α

Vab=10-(50*13)=10-6.5=3.5v

Thanks! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Thevenin1.JPG
    Thevenin1.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org
You have Rth correct, and despite writing an incorrect statement for the current, you handled it as though you had written it properly (you need parens) and got that right too.

Your Vth is not correct.

1. What is the Thevenin theorem?

The Thevenin theorem is a circuit analysis method that allows us to simplify a complex circuit into an equivalent circuit with just one voltage source and one resistor. This is useful in solving circuit problems and understanding the behavior of complex circuits.

2. How do I apply the Thevenin theorem to solve a circuit problem?

To apply the Thevenin theorem, you first need to identify the load resistor and remove it from the circuit. Then, you need to find the Thevenin voltage and resistance by analyzing the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current of the original circuit. Finally, you can use these values to create the equivalent circuit and solve the problem.

3. What are the advantages of using the Thevenin theorem?

The Thevenin theorem simplifies complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand their behavior. It also allows us to find the maximum power that can be delivered to a load, which is useful in designing circuits for maximum efficiency.

4. Are there any limitations to the Thevenin theorem?

The Thevenin theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, which means that it cannot be used for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, so it may not be accurate for circuits with changing inputs or time-varying elements.

5. Can I use the Thevenin theorem for AC circuits?

Yes, the Thevenin theorem can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, the calculations for finding the Thevenin voltage and resistance may differ for AC circuits, as they involve complex numbers and phasors.