<U|V> overlap integral of two many-electron determinant wave functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the overlap between two single determinant wave functions and whether the SAB (symmetry-adapted overlap between two slater determinants) can also be calculated using SAB=<U|V> = Det{<ui|vj>}. The expert suggests that this approach may work, and also explains that for a square matrix, the determinant is equal to the product of singular values multiplied by a phase factor. However, the person asking the question is having trouble with their calculations and the expert suggests that the SAB may not be accurately reflecting the probability of electron transfer between the two sets of molecular orbitals.
limorsj
Hello,

If we let U and V be two single determinant wave functions built up of spin orbitlas ui and vj respectively, will the overlap between them be as follows:

<U|V> = Det{<ui|vi>}

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not the third thread you make with exactly the same question. Your question has been answered in the thread in the Quantum Physics forum.

cgk said:
This is not the third thread you make with exactly the same question. Your question has been answered in the thread in the Quantum Physics forum.

Dear cgk,

According to your answer in another forum I can calculate the SAB by computing a singular value decomposition (SVD) of the occupied orbital overlap Socc. However, I would be very glad to know if the SAB can also be calculated by
SAB=<U|V> = Det{<ui|vj>},

Thank you for your support

I think so, yes. This would even get the sign right. Note that for a square matrix (as you have here) the determinant is equal to the product of singular values multiplied by a phase factor (since if SAB = U diag(sig) V (i.e., a SVD, with U and V unitary), then det(SAB) = det(U diag(sig) V) = det(U) det(diag(sig)) det(V) = e^{i phi} det(diag(sig)) = e^{i phi} prod{sig_i}, since unitary matrices have determinants with absolute value 1).

cgk said:
I think so, yes. This would even get the sign right. Note that for a square matrix (as you have here) the determinant is equal to the product of singular values multiplied by a phase factor (since if SAB = U diag(sig) V (i.e., a SVD, with U and V unitary), then det(SAB) = det(U diag(sig) V) = det(U) det(diag(sig)) det(V) = e^{i phi} det(diag(sig)) = e^{i phi} prod{sig_i}, since unitary matrices have determinants with absolute value 1).[/QUOT

Thank you very much

cgk said:
I think so, yes. This would even get the sign right. Note that for a square matrix (as you have here) the determinant is equal to the product of singular values multiplied by a phase factor (since if SAB = U diag(sig) V (i.e., a SVD, with U and V unitary), then det(SAB) = det(U diag(sig) V) = det(U) det(diag(sig)) det(V) = e^{i phi} det(diag(sig)) = e^{i phi} prod{sig_i}, since unitary matrices have determinants with absolute value 1).
Dear cgk,

Thank you very much for your kind answers. I was wondering whether you could help me again... I calculate the SAB of the two slater determinants. I have two sets of molecular orbitals, in both sets I have equivalent orbitals, just in different energy order and different electrons occupation. Since using SAB=<U|V> = Det{<ui|vj>} does not take into account the occupation or the order of the orbitals (changing the order will just change the sign of the determinant value), I get actually SAB=1... It seems not to calculate what I need...since SAB should reflect the probability of electron transfer between this two sets...
p.s. for my calculation I take only the occupied orbitals (I have one singly and the other doubly occupied).

Thank you

What is the overlap integral?

The overlap integral is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to describe the overlap between two many-electron determinant wave functions. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particular electron in a certain region of space.

Why is the overlap integral important in quantum mechanics?

The overlap integral is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in a system. It allows us to calculate the energy of a system and determine the stability of different electronic configurations.

How is the overlap integral calculated?

The overlap integral is calculated by integrating the product of the two wave functions over all space. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as Gaussian quadrature or Monte Carlo methods.

What happens if the overlap integral is zero?

If the overlap integral is zero, it means that the two wave functions do not overlap at all. This could indicate that the two electronic configurations are not compatible and cannot exist together in the same system.

Can the overlap integral be negative?

Yes, the overlap integral can be negative. This would indicate that the two wave functions have opposite phases and would interfere destructively, leading to a decrease in the overall probability of finding an electron in a particular region of space.