Quantum Information: Explaining the Computing Power Boost

In summary, Quantum Information (QI) has been a hot topic in the academic world, with some professors trying to explain its potential in computing. The key concept is that a function on a Quantum Computer can operate on a superposition of states simultaneously, making computation more efficient and fast. This has the potential to make encrypted messages unsafe, as it can quickly factorize large prime numbers. However, there is a limitation in that you can only get one answer from the computer and can't control which one. Grover's algorithm is a solution that involves applying a function multiple times to get the desired result with high probability. It is often described as a way to search a list in square root time.
tavi_boada
Hello,

In my university there is a bit of a fuss about Quantum Information (QI). A few professors work in this field and there have been some conferences where they try to explain to the rest what is QI and so on. I think it is safe to say I know a bit of quantum mechanics, not at a professional level though, but I can't understand why having bits in a superposition of states makes computing more efficient and fast. Theoreticaly, you can drastically cut down in search times, and it is said that they could actually make encrypted messages unsafe. I think most encryption is based on very large prime numbers which would be factorized with this quantum computer (!?). I know all this is old news but can anyone explain the crucial point that accounts for this boost in computing power?

Physics news on Phys.org
A typical function on a Quantum Computer operates on the basis states like this:

|x>|y> → |x>|y + f(x)>

So, if you have a big superposition of states, then one application of your function gets applied to every basis state in the superposition!

Of course, there is a catch: you can only get one answer out of the computer, and you can't directly control which one.

However, if you can write some other function g that can identify the desired result out of the n possible results, then Grover's algorithm let's you get the desired result with high probability. (It involves applying g and some other stuff √n times, where n is the total number of possible results)

Grover's algorithm is often described as an algorithm that can search an n-long list in √n time.

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information is a branch of physics that studies the encoding, transmission, and processing of information using quantum mechanical systems.

2. How does quantum information differ from classical information?

Quantum information differs from classical information in that it uses the principles of quantum mechanics to represent and process information, whereas classical information is based on classical physics and uses classical bits to represent and process information.

3. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computation that uses quantum mechanical systems to perform operations on quantum bits (qubits), which can represent multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

4. How does quantum information provide a computing power boost?

Quantum information provides a computing power boost by leveraging the principles of quantum mechanics to perform operations on qubits simultaneously, allowing for faster and more efficient processing of certain types of problems that would be intractable for classical computers.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum information?

Potential applications of quantum information include quantum cryptography for secure communication, quantum simulation for studying complex systems, and quantum machine learning for faster and more accurate data analysis.