Motherboard just keeps beeping.

• Thread starter quasi426
  • Start date
In summary, the user's newly constructed computer is not booting, the monitor is not receiving any signal, and the motherboard beeps. The user has an ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard 939pin and might have the CPU installed improperly. The user tried a different hard drive, removed all cards except the video card, and tried another video card. The user's computer still beeps. The user fixed the problem by replacing the memory.
quasi426
My newly constructed computer is not booting to anything. The moniter doesn't receive any signal and the motherboard continues to beep. I have an ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard 939pin. Might it be that the CPU is installed improperly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Check the temperature of the CPU in the bios.

Did you set all the jumpers correctly? Maybe you have the memory placed incorrectly?

Are the jumpers the wires from the case to the motherboard. If so just wondering if it matters what orientation they get placed into the pins, because they fit either way.

And I can't get into BIOS...i just haven't got a signal from the moniter yet.

make sure that the memory slots are filled starting at slot zero. if you do not fill slot zero, the computer will not boot.

it does not sound like a CPU temp issue since even a boot to windows could be done on an improperly cooled CPU from, a cold system...

Check the beep codes first, as suggested. If you are getting beeps, chances are good the mother board and CPU are OK.
1] Is your power supply sufficient and functioning?
2] Try a different hard drive. A bad hard drive can wreak havoc.
3] Remove all cards - except the video card.
4] Try another video card and see if your boole boots.
5] Try pulling and replacing memory chips [as also suggested.]

Does it just continue to beep? no pattern or anything just beep after beep? if there's no pattern and it doesn't sop, it very well could be a shorted out motherboard. I've had a motherboard short out, and all it does it beep constantly.

If the CPU was inserted incorrectly, it would have a pattern of beeps, indicating that it doesn't detect a CPU.

A bad HD would wreck havoc, but it would still send video signals to the monitor, so that can't be it.

Last edited:
One thing that springs to mind that seems to happen a lot to people who are used to the older AMD systems is remembering that the new systems now need two power cables going to the motherboard - the really big one and the little square one. I know it's probably the first thing you checked, but just in case...

Other than that, like others have suggested, check that the memory sticks are installed in the right slots, as given in your motherboard manual.

I fixed the problem guys, thanks a lot. So it turned out that the memory didn't seem to work in one of the slots. The motherboard had 4 slots or 2 pairs of slots. The manual said I can place the memory on the first slot of either pair. So I took it out and placed in the other pair and it worked. Thanks for the help.

1. Why is my motherboard beeping?

There could be several reasons why your motherboard is beeping. The most common causes include faulty hardware, such as RAM or graphics card, or an overheating issue. It could also indicate a problem with the power supply or a BIOS error.

2. How can I stop the beeping?

The solution to stopping the beeping will depend on the cause. If it is due to faulty hardware, you will need to replace the malfunctioning component. If it is an overheating issue, make sure your computer is well-ventilated and consider adding additional cooling fans. If it is a BIOS error, try updating the BIOS.

3. Is it safe to continue using my computer while the motherboard is beeping?

It is not recommended to continue using your computer while the motherboard is beeping. This could potentially cause further damage to the hardware or data loss. It is best to address the issue as soon as possible.

4. Can I disable the beeping sound?

Yes, you can disable the beeping sound by accessing the BIOS settings and turning off the system beep. However, it is important to note that the beeping sound is a warning signal and disabling it may prevent you from identifying potential issues in the future.

5. Will resetting the motherboard fix the beeping?

In some cases, resetting the motherboard can fix the beeping issue. This involves removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and then reinserting it. However, if the beeping persists, it is likely due to a hardware issue that will need to be addressed separately.