What should I bring for mum when I return home from studying in the UK?

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
In summary, the author suggests that Native Americans have always liked Pendleton blankets because they are soft, colorful, and practical. They also suggest that Pendleton blankets are a good way to show support for Native Americans.
spaghetti3451
Hi, I am studying here in the uk and I am going back home. I am wondering what I should take for mum. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
take her some earl grey tea. and shortbread biscuits. and a black pudding :p

and oven gloves in floral patterns. and baked beans. everyone likes baked beans.

Sorry I_like_Serena... I'm so embarassed! I don't realize at the time, but after, I see how cringe-worthy it is... woke up now.

Last edited:
yeah, I need to stop posting inappropriate remarks...

Last edited:
I was wondering what anyone would suggest for taking home to mum.
Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Btw, did you watch A fish called Wanda? :P

edit.

Last edited:
edit.

Last edited:
edit.

Last edited:
A http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Home-Blankets/Native-American/Heritage-Collection/1973/c/1823/pc/1816.uts.

These are the same blankets that real Native Americans have bought for over a century.

Seriously. They've been selling blankets to Native Americans since the 1800's. They've always been so popular and ubiquitous among native Americans that a lot of the public have always thought that they must be designed and made by Native Americans.

It is! :)
And Wanda likes Russian...

Wanda: Archie? Do you speak Italian?
Archie: I am Italian! Sono italiano in spirito. Ma ho sposato una donna che preferisce lavorare in giardino a fare l'amore appassionato. Uno sbaglio grande! But it's such an ugly language. How about... Russian?

yes.

Last edited:
I love these blankets! I can see why Native Americans liked them so much! they look so soft! and colourful! I want one!

В минуту жизни трудную
Теснится ль в сердце грусть:
Одну молитву чудную
Твержу я наизусть.

Есть сила благодатная
В созвучье слов живых,
И дышит непонятная,
Святая прелесть в них.

С души как бремя скатится,
Сомненье далеко —
И верится, и плачется,
И так легко, легко...

smiley

Last edited:
BobG said:
A http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Home-Blankets/Native-American/Heritage-Collection/1973/c/1823/pc/1816.uts.

These are the same blankets that real Native Americans have bought for over a century.

Seriously. They've been selling blankets to Native Americans since the 1800's. They've always been so popular and ubiquitous among native Americans that a lot of the public have always thought that they must be designed and made by Native Americans.

That's such a great idea. I love Pendleton blankets! I only have one, it's a waaaay back classic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/130547144120?clk_rvr_id=249214788776

Blankets of this type were made for trade, and the number of stripes at the top and/or bottom was the "price" - the number of animal pelts that it was worth.

Here's a timely article about Pendleton:

http://www.slate.com/slideshow/arts/the-strange-history-of-the-indian-blanket

@nucleargirl: I liked your remarks. :smiley:
Especially the last one, which was extra funny because Google translate does not appear to have voice (I checked!).

@I_like_Serena: it does! but only for short sentences.

1. What are some traditional gifts to bring for mum when returning home from studying in the UK?

Some traditional gifts to bring for mum when returning home from studying in the UK include tea, biscuits, chocolates, and souvenirs such as keychains, magnets, or postcards.

2. Should I bring any practical items for mum when returning home from studying in the UK?

Yes, it would be thoughtful to bring practical items for your mum when returning home from studying in the UK. This could include items such as skincare products, kitchen gadgets, or household items that are not easily accessible or more expensive in your home country.

3. Is it appropriate to bring alcohol as a gift for mum when returning home from studying in the UK?

If your mum enjoys alcohol, it is appropriate to bring some as a gift when returning home from studying in the UK. However, make sure to check the customs regulations of your home country regarding the amount and type of alcohol that can be brought in.

4. Are there any cultural considerations to keep in mind when choosing a gift for mum when returning home from studying in the UK?

Yes, it is important to keep in mind your mum's cultural background and preferences when choosing a gift. For example, if your mum has dietary restrictions, it would be considerate to bring a gift that accommodates those restrictions.

5. What if I am on a tight budget? What can I bring for mum when returning home from studying in the UK?

If you are on a tight budget, there are still thoughtful and meaningful gifts you can bring for your mum when returning home from studying in the UK. Consider making something by hand, such as a photo album or a handwritten letter expressing your gratitude and love. Alternatively, you can also bring small souvenirs or locally made items that are unique to the UK.