Variable power as an axis, nonsense? please comment

In summary, this is a graph that shows the coefficients of a power series. It uses variables instead of numbers for the x-axis, and these variables represent the real numbers. The plot resembles a sine function, and it could be used to determine a power series' convergence.
elegysix
Hello,
Does anyone know if this makes sense or is usable?

I've only been able to describe it through a graph.
Instead of the x-axis being numbers, being powers of x.

Let me clarify - where normally would be x=0,1,2,3... would now be x^0, x^1, x^2, x^3
and the y-axis would be values of coefficients in a polynomial / coefficients in a power series.

Does anyone know of anything like this?
I thought it up yesterday and have been intrigued by it.
I don't know how to work with it though.

thanks
austin

Physics news on Phys.org
elegysix said:
Hello,
Does anyone know if this makes sense or is usable?

I've only been able to describe it through a graph.
Instead of the x-axis being numbers, being powers of x.

Let me clarify - where normally would be x=0,1,2,3... would now be x^0, x^1, x^2, x^3
and the y-axis would be values of coefficients in a polynomial / coefficients in a power series.

Does anyone know of anything like this?
I thought it up yesterday and have been intrigued by it.
I don't know how to work with it though.

thanks
austin

Yes, it's called a log scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale

this would be a log base x though right? The log plots on wiki are in base 10 and other values, but not variables. Does that make a difference?

elegysix said:
this would be a log base x though right? The log plots on wiki are in base 10 and other values, but not variables. Does that make a difference?

Maybe I'm not clear on what you meant. The values on the x-axis aren't numbers? They're variables? Can you give a specific example of what you mean?

'x' is just a dummy variable that ranges over the real numbers when you're graphing a function, for example. But the x-axis represents the real numbers. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying it consists of variables like x^n.

The idea is like this: write out a few of the first terms in the power series of sin(x),

then mark your x-axis as [itex] x^{0}, x^{1}, x^{2}, x^{3}... [/itex] in place of the integers

The coefficients of the power series, [itex]a_{n}[/itex], are the y coordinates.

Ordered pairs would be [itex](x^{0},a_{0}), (x^{1},a_{1}), (x^{2},a_{2}) [/itex] and so forth.

doing this for sin(x) -- the coefficients of the power series are 0, 1, 0, -1/6, 0, 1/120...
Where I have used 0's for the coefficients of even powers of x.

Plotting this looks like [itex] \frac {sin()}{n!} [/itex] but I have no clue how to interpret what I've done. it does look like if we tried to fit those points, that would be an exact fit.

I find it curious that just plotting these coefficients resembles a sine function. Perhaps this could be used somehow to determine the function a power series converges to? (assuming it does converge)
The same can be done for the cosine, and the plot looks like cos/n!.

any idea about this?

thanks
austin

Last edited:

1. What is variable power as an axis?

Variable power as an axis refers to the ability to manipulate or change the independent variable in an experiment in order to observe its effect on the dependent variable. This allows for the identification of cause-and-effect relationships between variables.

2. How is variable power as an axis measured?

Variable power as an axis is typically measured using a numerical scale or unit of measurement that represents the amount of change in the independent variable. This can include factors such as time, distance, temperature, or concentration, depending on the specific experiment.

3. Why is variable power as an axis important in scientific research?

Variable power as an axis is crucial in scientific research as it allows for controlled experimentation and the identification of causal relationships between variables. Without variable power, it would be difficult to determine the impact of specific factors on the outcome of an experiment.

4. How can variable power as an axis be manipulated in an experiment?

Variable power as an axis can be manipulated in an experiment by changing the values of the independent variable. This can be done by adjusting experimental conditions, altering the amount or concentration of a substance, or varying the length of time for which the experiment is conducted.

5. Is variable power as an axis always necessary in scientific experiments?

While variable power as an axis is a fundamental aspect of many scientific experiments, there are certain cases where it may not be necessary. For example, in observational studies or descriptive research, the focus is on observing and describing existing phenomena rather than manipulating variables.