Projectile Motion: Shooting over a hill

In summary, to find the angle at which a projectile should be fired, you can use the equation θ=arctan(4H/R), where H is the highest point in the trajectory and R is the range of the projectile. This can be derived by setting the time it takes for the range to be R/2 equal to the time it takes for the height to be H.
kkernodl

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired with speed v0 at an angle θ from the horizontal as shown in the figure (see attachment).

Homework Equations

A. Find the highest point in the trajectory, H. Express the highest point in terms of the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity g, the initial velocity v0, and the angle θ.

B. What is the range of the projectile, R? Express the range in terms of v0, θ, and g.

C. Find the angle theta above the horizontal at which the projectile should be fired. Express your answer in terms of H and R.

D. What is the initial speed? Express v0 in terms of g, R, and H.

E. Find tg, the flight time of the projectile. Express the flight time in terms of H and g.

The Attempt at a Solution

A. H=(v0sin(θ))2)/2g

B. R=v02sin(2θ)/g

C. I know that arctan(2H/R)=θ, however this isn't the correct answer. I've tried everything I can think of, but don't know how to solve this part.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.02.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.02.35 PM.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,250
Physics news on Phys.org
kkernodl said:
C. I know that arctan(2H/R)=θ, however this isn't the correct answer

What you need to do is find the time it takes for the range (x) to be R/2 and then find θ such that the height (y) is H.

Your expression is valid for a triangle connecting the starting point to the peak but that doesn't have anything to do with the projectile problem.

hotvette said:
What you need to do is find the time it takes for the range (x) to be R/2 and then find θ such that the height (y) is H.

Your expression is valid for a triangle connecting the starting point to the peak but that doesn't have anything to do with the projectile problem.

I found the position function in the x direction and set it equal to R/2. This gave me that the time, t, such that the position of x is R/2 is t=v0sin(2θ)/2gcosθ.

I can use trig identities to simplify this to t=v0sinθ/g

I can find the position function of y: Sy=v0t-4.9t2, but I'm not sure what to plug in.

I'm also very confused as to how I'm supposed to express the answer in terms of H and R, as the question specifically asks.

I was able to answer it using my original answer.

I had to find the ratio of H/R, which is sinθ/4cosθ or (1/4)tanθ.

I set (1/4)tanθ=H/R and solved for θ, which gave me θ=arctan(4H/R), which is the correct answer.

D. v0=√(gR/2H)

E. tg=√(2H/g)

I would like to clarify that the equations used in this problem are based on the assumptions of ideal projectile motion, where there is no air resistance and the acceleration due to gravity is constant. In real-life scenarios, there may be factors such as air resistance and varying gravitational forces that can affect the trajectory and flight time of a projectile.

To solve part C, we can use the range equation (B) and substitute in the expression for θ from the arctan equation. This gives us R=v0^2sin(arctan(2H/R))/g. We can then use the trigonometric identity sin(arctan(x))=x/√(1+x^2) to simplify the expression and solve for θ.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the initial speed (v0) in this problem is dependent on the values of H, R, and g. So, if any of these values are changed, the initial speed will also change accordingly.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of projection, or the angle at which the object is launched, affects the range and height of the projectile. A higher angle of projection will result in a greater range but a lower height, while a lower angle will result in a shorter range but a higher height.

3. Can a projectile be launched over a hill?

Yes, a projectile can be launched over a hill as long as the initial velocity and angle of projection are calculated correctly. The projectile's trajectory will be affected by the hill, resulting in a curved path rather than a straight line.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, decreases the speed and distance of a projectile. This is because the air molecules push against the projectile, slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path.

5. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach when launched over a hill?

The maximum height a projectile can reach when launched over a hill depends on the initial velocity and angle of projection, as well as the height of the hill. With the right calculations, a projectile can reach any height as long as it is launched with enough force.