Prove sqrt(2) is irrational

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, in proofs using proof by contradiction, we assume that the square root of 2 is rational and can be written as a reduced fraction. However, as the proof progresses, we reach a contradiction which leads to the conclusion that it cannot be reduced to lowest terms. This assumption is necessary in order to cover both the reduced and non-reduced cases. Ultimately, this proves that the square root of 2 is irrational.
bonfire09
In proofs like prove sqrt(2) is irrational using proof by contradiction it typically goes like-We assume to the contrary sqrt(2) is rational where sqrt(2)=a/b and b≠0 and a/b has been reduced to lowest terms. I understand that at the very end of the arrive we arrive at the conclusion that it has not been reduced to lowest terms which leads to a contradiction. But what allows me assume a\b has been reduced to lowest terms? For all I know a/b could have not been reduced at the very beginning.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops I think I posted it in the wrong section.

bonfire09 said:
But what allows me assume a\b has been reduced to lowest terms? For all I know a/b could have not been reduced at the very beginning.

You (the writer of the proof) can assume ("demand" might be a better word actually) whatever you like, as long as you can live with the consequences. In this case, assuming that a/b has been reduced means we're only really proving that √2 can't be equal to any reduced fraction. So this well-known proof actually only applies to a very special case of fractions. √2 might still be equal to some non-reduced fraction.

But you see why proving the special case is enough to cover the non-reduced case as well, don't you? This small step ("no reduced fraction, so no non-reduced fraction either") is so obvious that it's not even mentioned. At least I've never seen it being spelt out explicitly.

Oh wow now I get it. I never thought of it like that. So basically the proof is saying that sqrt(2) is reduced to lowest terms and sqrt(2) is not reduced to lowest terms which means that it rules out any possibility of it being written as a fraction.Thus its irrational.

The assumption that a/b has been reduced to lowest terms is a common practice in mathematical proofs and is based on the fundamental principle of simplification. In other words, when we are dealing with rational numbers, we always strive to simplify them to their lowest terms to avoid any unnecessary complexity.

In the case of proving that sqrt(2) is irrational, we are assuming the opposite, i.e. that sqrt(2) is a rational number, and thus can be expressed as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers. However, if this fraction is not reduced to its lowest terms, it would mean that there exists a common factor between a and b, which can be divided out to simplify the fraction further. This would lead to a contradiction, as we would then have a simpler form of the fraction a/b, contradicting our initial assumption that it is already in its lowest terms.

Therefore, assuming that a/b has been reduced to its lowest terms is a valid step in the proof and helps us reach a contradiction, ultimately proving that sqrt(2) is indeed irrational.

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction with a non-zero denominator. Examples of irrational numbers include pi (π) and the square root of 2 (√2).

2. How do you prove that the square root of 2 is irrational?

There are a few different methods for proving that the square root of 2 is irrational. One common method is to use proof by contradiction, assuming that √2 is rational and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use the unique factorization theorem, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely expressed as a product of prime numbers. By showing that √2 cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, we can prove that it is irrational.

3. Can you give an example of a proof that shows the square root of 2 is irrational?

One example of a proof by contradiction is as follows: Assume that √2 is rational, and can be expressed as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers with no common factors. This means that a and b are both even, since if they were both odd then they would have a common factor of 2. Therefore, we can write a = 2m and b = 2n for some integers m and n. Substituting these values into a/b = √2, we get (2m)/(2n) = √2. Simplifying, we get m/n = √2/2. This means that √2/2 is a ratio of two integers, which contradicts our assumption that √2 is irrational. Therefore, our initial assumption that √2 is rational must be false, and thus it is irrational.

4. Why is proving that the square root of 2 is irrational important?

The proof that √2 is irrational is important because it was one of the first proofs of irrationality and helped establish the concept of irrational numbers. It also has practical applications, such as in computer algorithms and cryptography. Additionally, the proof serves as a foundation for proving the irrationality of other numbers, such as √3 and √5.

5. Can all square roots be proven to be irrational?

No, not all square roots can be proven to be irrational. For example, the square root of 4 (√4) is a rational number because it can be expressed as the ratio 2/1. In fact, only a small number of square roots can be proven to be irrational, as most square roots of integers are actually rational numbers.