Effect of ambient light on eyes when watching television

In summary: I think it varies between people. All of my life I read in dim light, I could read very well and bright light actually caused eyestrain and pain in my eyes if I was reading or on a computer. Now, just within the last few months, I've noticed that I have to turn lights on when I read or I have difficulty seeing the text. I've crossed over into "old eyes".
mkbh_10
One watched TV in ambient light to avoid strain on eyes. What role is ambient light playing and how can this be explained in terms of physics of photons which come from the TV and which come from ambient light.

Biology news on Phys.org

This is more a question of biology than physics.

I don't think this has a lot to do with physics. It's about how eyes work. So this should probably be in the biology forum. Unfortunately I don't know enough about that to comment. Edit: That was quick. :smile:

mkbh_10 said:
One watched TV in ambient light to avoid strain on eyes. What role is ambient light playing and how can this be explained in terms of physics of photons which come from the TV and which come from ambient light.

What eye strain are you talking about? A TV should be so bright that you have no need to strain your eyes. On that note, what does "strain your eyes" really mean? I've heard the old story of don't read in dim light because of eye strain, but I have no idea why this would cause any eye strain.

Drakkith, I assumed that he (or she) was asking why it's uncomfortable to watch TV when all other lights in the room are off.

Drakkith said:
What eye strain are you talking about? A TV should be so bright that you have no need to strain your eyes. On that note, what does "strain your eyes" really mean? I've heard the old story of don't read in dim light because of eye strain, but I have no idea why this would cause any eye strain.

Basically when you strain, ciliary muscles contract in order for you to properly see. However over time it may give out and cause problems in vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthenopia

Fredrik said:
Drakkith, I assumed that he (or she) was asking why it's uncomfortable to watch TV when all other lights in the room are off.

I wasn't aware that this happened to people.

thorium1010 said:
Basically when you strain, ciliary muscles contract in order for you to properly see. However over time it may give out and cause problems in vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthenopia

Does this affect people who watch TV since you rarely sit at such close distances from it?

Drakkith said:
Does this affect people who watch TV since you rarely sit at such close distances from it?

If the light conditions are bad, then it happens to me. If there is enough light, then I don't get troubles.

This is addressed in at least one of the home theater display calibration discs - Digital Video Essentials HD Basics - http://www.sceniclabs.com/products/digital-video-essentials-hd-basics Others, like the Disney disc, may also address it; however, I have no experience with any of the others.

I have my "home theater" setup with background lighting as close as I can currently get to what is suggested, and both my wife and I find that it does decrease eye-strain.

As to a medical explanation, I am sure there is one, however, I do not know what that explanation is.

wiyosaya said:
As to a medical explanation, I am sure there is one, however, I do not know what that explanation is.
The only reference to a study I could find.

Even though the effects were modest, they were measurable. The results are consistent with prior literature supporting the concept of limiting luminance ratios between a visual task and its surround, according to LRC researchers

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060425015643.htm

I think it varies between people. All of my life I read in dim light, I could read very well and bright light actually caused eyestrain and pain in my eyes if I was reading or on a computer. Now, just within the last few months, I've noticed that I have to turn lights on when I read or I have difficulty seeing the text. I've crossed over into "old eyes". :frown:

Evo said:
I've crossed over into "old eyes". :frown:

No Evo! Take my eyes!

Drakkith said:
No Evo! Take my eyes!
Awwwwww, thank you, I guess I need to get some new glasses. The other night I needed to read some fine print and had to get a flashlight. :eek:

Evo said:
Awwwwww, thank you, I guess I need to get some new glasses. The other night I needed to read some fine print and had to get a flashlight. :eek:

Well, I guess it's not too much of a problem until you need a spotlight!

Drakkith said:
Well, I guess it's not too much of a problem until you need a spotlight!
Oooh, maybe I could buy a miners hat for reading, it has that flashlight in front. That's one of the reasons I wonder about those e-book readers like a kindle or ipad, I like reading in bed with little light, and it seems these pads would cause huge eyestrain unless you used it in a well lighted room.

Miners hat is a good idea, not only you will see better, but you will be safer while reading too (and knowing you making you safer is a good idea always).

IMHO some ambient light while watching TV helps for purely optical reasons - pupils contract and DOF increase, that means we are seeing better.

1. How does ambient light affect eye strain when watching television?

Ambient light can contribute to eye strain when watching television by creating a glare on the screen. This can cause the eyes to work harder to focus on the image, leading to fatigue and discomfort.

2. Can ambient light impact the quality of the television viewing experience?

Ambient light can definitely impact the quality of the television viewing experience. Too much ambient light can create reflections on the screen, making it difficult to see the images clearly. On the other hand, too little ambient light can cause the eyes to strain in order to see the screen, leading to a less enjoyable viewing experience.

3. Are certain types of ambient light better than others for watching television?

Yes, some types of ambient light are better than others for watching television. Natural light from windows or a skylight can create a more evenly lit environment and reduce glare. Soft, indirect lighting, such as lamps or dimmer switches, can also be beneficial for watching television.

4. Can adjusting the brightness and contrast on the television help with the effects of ambient light?

Yes, adjusting the brightness and contrast on the television can help mitigate the effects of ambient light. By increasing the brightness, the images on the screen will appear clearer and more defined, reducing the strain on the eyes. Adjusting the contrast can also help by creating a greater difference between light and dark areas on the screen, making it easier for the eyes to focus.

5. Is there an ideal level of ambient light for watching television?

The ideal level of ambient light for watching television may vary for each individual, as it depends on personal preferences and the lighting conditions in the room. However, generally, a moderate level of ambient light that does not create glare or reflections on the screen is recommended for a comfortable viewing experience.