Is it possible to create a metal ring with a variable diameter using segments?

In summary, the person is looking for a way to create a metal ring with a variable diameter and is unsuccessful because they need additional segments to fill the gap when the segments are pulled out.
examorph
I am interested to see if there is a way of creating a metal ring which has a variable diameter, the only way I imagine that this can be done is using segments which come together to form a circle, once pulled away the diameter changes however, the problem I face is that when the segments are pulled out, they leave a gap as shown here:
http://gyazo.com/bd38ce382a16a9f6a1739c42ad30d404
To fill this gap, additional segments would need to be manufactured and would defeat the purpose of having a variable diameter.

Is something like this even possible, if not a perfect circle, is there a way of doing this to get a varying geometry which is very similar to a circle? I am interested to see any ideas at all that anyone may have about this even if they are nothing to do with segment please share.

Engineering news on Phys.org
google "camera iris"

Likes 1 person
That was exactly what I was looking for, Thank you.

Just out of interest, can this be reversed? I mean rather than having a circle form on the inside is it possible to form the circle on the outside so that as the segments move it expands outwards?

examorph said:
That was exactly what I was looking for, Thank you.

Just out of interest, can this be reversed? I mean rather than having a circle form on the inside is it possible to form the circle on the outside so that as the segments move it expands outwards?

Never heard of one like that but seems to me it could be made. The "circle" would probably be more like a polygon, but the more segments used the less that would be the case.

There are many unusual approximate solutions to such a problem.
Maybe if you could identify the application it would be worth posting other solutions.

What is a variable diameter circle?

A variable diameter circle is a geometric shape that has a constantly changing diameter. It is formed by two intersecting arcs or curves of different radii.

What is the formula for calculating the area of a variable diameter circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a variable diameter circle is A = π * (r1^2 + r2^2)/2, where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two intersecting arcs.

What are some real-life applications of variable diameter circles?

Variable diameter circles are commonly used in engineering and architecture for designing curved structures such as arches, domes, and bridges. They are also used in optics for creating lenses with varying curvatures.

How does a variable diameter circle differ from a regular circle?

In a regular circle, the diameter is constant and the same all the way around the circle. In a variable diameter circle, the diameter changes at different points along the circumference, resulting in a non-uniform shape.

What are the advantages of using variable diameter circles?

Variable diameter circles allow for more flexibility and creativity in design. They can also save materials and reduce weight in structures, making them more efficient and cost-effective. Additionally, they can provide more accurate and precise optical properties in lenses.