Sustainable Energy

by Nico123
Tags: energy, sustainable
Share this thread:
Nico123
May17-14, 04:13 AM
P: 8
Hey Everyone,
I have been doing some research into renewable/sustainable energy sources recently and there isn't a great deal on info about the new/innovative ways of creating cleaner electricity. Do any of you know of any new methods which are being trialled for sustainable energy and if there are any 'fancy' ones being used.
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
NascentOxygen
May17-14, 08:06 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,247
Hi Nico123.

I'm sure that a google search will turn up such information if it exists. Unless you are in a country which imposes arbitrary censorship of google, I think you will find that Google is as well informed as anyone!

Good luck with your studies!
russ_watters
May17-14, 09:11 AM
Mentor
P: 22,286
Yes, to say that there isn't a great deal of info about it is very odd - and very wrong.

homemade
May17-14, 09:41 AM
P: 6
Sustainable Energy

Other than the basic technologies, not that I have seen. There have been a myriad of combining technologies...here's 2 of my faves:

Greenhouse has a mulch pile nearby ( mulch was free and recurring from municipal source) and a water pallet filled from rainwater on an elevated platform. Under the mulch pile is a coil of black pipe(well pipe) & a 4" x100' drainage coil with holes. The mulch gets an enzyme boost by stale beer poured on top and a soaking. Breakdown occurs creating heat at the core. A solar pump circulates the rain water through the core of the mulch pile and returns to the water tank, heating the greenhouse. The drainage pipe enters the greenhouse and the co2 released feeds the plants. The broken down mulch turns to soil matter combined with plant compost. The pile can be oxygen boosted by attaching a leaf blower to the other end of the 4" pipe. Over abundance of heat can be heat exchanged to preheat the water-heater in the home.

Methane to electricity: 55 gal drum with a 35 gal drum inverted inside. Drum is filled part way (rainwater) and waste paper, cardboard or other paper products shredded into water. Smaller drum is cabled or bracketed into position to keep upright.
35 gal drum captures near pure methane from mini swamp mix and floats up, weight of drum pressurizes gas. Pipe to water trap with valve keeps a flashback from occurring. Motor/generator runs off the methane.
Sunfire
May20-14, 11:06 AM
P: 215
Here is one example, it even got funded

http://vortexengine.ca/index.shtml
gloriasakins
Jun23-14, 11:21 PM
P: 4
Recently their was a conference by world nuclear association regarding stictly implementing the sustainable energy concepts by major environmental consulting firms to their clients. In order to start from the ground level for clear energy this can be called a revolutionary initiative.

Register to reply