Understanding Enthalpy of Reaction in the Thermite Reaction

• Thread starter forevergone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the "thermite reaction" is highly exothermic and produces white-hot, molten iron in a few seconds.
forevergone
I've been having trouble understanding some parts of these questions. The question goes like this:

The "thermite reaction" is highly exothermic. It involves the reaction between Fe2O3 & Al. The reaction produces white-hot, molten iron is a few seconds.
2 Al + 3/2 O2 --> Al2O3 delta H = -1672 kJ
2 Fe + 3/2 O2 --> Fe2O3 delta H = -836 kJ​

a) find the amount of heat liberated in the reaction of one mole of Fe2O3 with Al.
b) find the amount of heat liberated in the reactino of 1 kg of Fe2O3 with Al.
c) how many grams of liquid water could be heated from 0C to 100C by the heat liberated per mole of aluminum oxide?

For a) and b), when I'm trying to find the enthalpy, do I need to apply hess's law to obtain the enthalpy of one mole of Fe2O3 and Al? The part that confuses me is the relevance with Fe2O3 and Al. So far, I've only gotten to figuring out what the target eq'n is.

2 Al + 2 Fe --> Al2O3 + Fe203 delta H = -836kJ​

But after determining the target eq'n, I don't know what to do in terms of Fe2O3 and Al for that one mol and similarly with determining 1 kg.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they want the reaction of the iron oxide with aluminum (you should denote the states of the molecules/atoms involved), your final equation is incorrect. Write the proper equation, and observe on whether the terms in the enthalpy values for each denoted reaction (kJ/mol, kJ/grams or kJ/mol reaction, kJ/mol Al etc...), the rest should be simple, Don't forget to take into account the stoichiometries.

So really, it's just a single displacement rxn then between Al and Fe2O3?

yes, Fe2O3 + 2Al → Al2O3 + 2Fe, I'm sure you can take it from here

What is enthalpy of reaction?

Enthalpy of reaction, also known as heat of reaction, is the change in enthalpy that occurs during a chemical reaction. It represents the difference in energy between the products and reactants of a reaction.

How is enthalpy of reaction calculated?

The enthalpy of reaction can be calculated using the equation: ΔH = ΣH(products) - ΣH(reactants). This involves finding the sum of the enthalpies of the products and reactants, and then taking the difference between the two values.

What factors affect the enthalpy of reaction?

The enthalpy of reaction is affected by the types of bonds broken and formed during a reaction, as well as the physical state of the reactants and products. Temperature and pressure can also influence the enthalpy of reaction.

How does enthalpy of reaction relate to energy?

Enthalpy of reaction is a measure of the energy change that occurs during a chemical reaction. A negative enthalpy of reaction indicates that energy is released during the reaction, while a positive enthalpy of reaction means that energy is absorbed.

Why is enthalpy of reaction important?

Enthalpy of reaction is important because it helps to determine the feasibility and direction of a chemical reaction. It also plays a role in understanding the energy changes that occur in natural processes and industrial reactions, and is a key concept in many fields of chemistry and physics.