What kind of internet connection do you have?

In summary: Tbps speeds will be possible in the future.Bandwidth and latency are... decreasing over time, so 50 Tbps speeds will be possible in the future.I think so too.
Nothing000
I have been using 4 Mbps high speed for about 6 months now and have been pretty happy with it. Just the other day my internet service provider started offering 9 Mbps for 15 extra dollars per month. Do you think that this increase in speed is worth an extra 15 dollars? Do you really think that I would notice a difference if I did get the faster speed?

Computer science news on Phys.org
what do you do with your connection?
if its just browsing the internet, then even 1Mbps would be more then enough... for filesharing the more bandwidth you got the better off you are, though id save my money and just be a little more patient...

Be a little more patient for what?

My ISP upgraded from 4 Mbps to 8 Mbps about a year ago, and in single PC browsing use the difference isn't all that big and at first hardly noticed (well, still noticeable, and sure VPNs, downloads etc. 'hogs' can use the extra - there it is does come handy). Since got 3 computers at home the difference when using 2-3 at the same time is clear.

Nothing000 said:
Be a little more patient for what?
for my files to download...

very funny.

6MB down 512 up

When will we have Gigabit*s^-1 speeds?

When will we have Gigabit*s^-1 speeds?

Is that Gig * s (to the power) -1?

If you mean Gig speeds.. we already do, but its too expensive for a consumer..

http://www.level3.com/673.html

we have OC3 at my work..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sorry. I meant Gig / second, I just thought the way I wrote it looked cooler. What speed is T1 and T3?

Oh, I found it. T1 is 1.544 Mbit/s, and T3 is 34.368 Mbit/s. Wow, t1 and t3 are outdated. I did not know that.

That OC3 looks very fast. I am going to get it in my apartment. Do you think it costs more than my high speed through my cable company? :biggrin:

Nothing000 said:
Oh, I found it. T1 is 1.544 Mbit/s, and T3 is 34.368 Mbit/s. Wow, t1 and t3 are outdated. I did not know that.
A T3 (DS3) is approximately 45 megabits per second (44.736). T1s and T3s are the most common speeds for data and internet and are not outdated.

OC3 (155 mbps) and above is growing in popularity for businesses as prices decrease and availability increases. I'm doing one for a client right now.

Nothing000 said:

T1 and T3 are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more reliable then consumer internet connections

Pengwuino said:
T1 and T3 are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more reliable then consumer internet connections
Yes, you're correct, I'm impressed! :approve:

A T3 (DS3) is approximately 45 megabits per second (44.736). T1s and T3s are the most common speeds for data and internet and are not outdated.

I would argue that they are becoming obselete, for teleco no, but as a last mile technology I would say so.. In Europe at least

Anttech said:
I would argue that they are becoming obselete, for teleco no, but as a last mile technology I would say so.. In Europe at least
Not in the US, here they are growing in number, not declining. More smaller businesses that could not previously afford T1 & T3 are moving up to them and disconnecting DSL and cable as it is not as reliable.

What are businesses in Europe replacing them with?

Last edited:
What are businesses in Europe replacing them with?

For Internet, SHDSL and other SDSL forms.. xDSL here is very stable.. and is used by a lot of small to medium size buisness.
The bigger Buisness are using MPLS on there backbones and consolidating Voice, Video and Data using MPLS as the carrier between Hub and Spoke Sites. In fact so are most teleco companies, soon Mobile phones here will have IP addresses.. :-D I can't wait!

As far as I can see most large business are using SONET protocols at the data link and physical layers, not ISDN.. That is the Trend here, people are moving of ISDN protocols onto Optical and Home users are using DSL

I have Verizon DSL that runs at T1 speed, 1.5 mbps. Comcast High-Speed Internet is the most popular around here, offering 3 mbps. Although I am happy with my connection, any OC line would be nice.

If you like OC3 (155 mbps), take a look at OC12. It runs at 622 mbps!

So when will we be using tera-bit per second speeds?

There are already routers that can route 50Tb/s

Then what is the limit!?

When do you think we will be using 50 Tbps speeds for home computers? 10 years?

There probably won't be any need, home users will never need to route that much data.. What is probably going to happen is latency times will decrease as switching techniques become faster and faster.

Bandwidth and latency are not the same thing.

What bandwidth would be needed to stream HD video?
Because that will definitely be needed be home computer users.

Anttech said:
For Internet, SHDSL and other SDSL forms.. xDSL here is very stable.. and is used by a lot of small to medium size buisness.
DSL doesn't have the reliability, mean time to repair, or SLAs that dedicated access has, so it's considered a step backwards to go from dedicated T1 to any type of DSL.

The bigger Buisness are using MPLS on there backbones and consolidating Voice, Video and Data using MPLS as the carrier between Hub and Spoke Sites.
MPLS is in the cloud though, not the access loop, it's been around for a few years here as a WAN option.

In fact so are most teleco companies, soon Mobile phones here will have IP addresses.. :-D I can't wait!
We already assign static IP addresses for our wireless connection cards to use in wireless WANs as a replacement for hardwired frame sites.

As far as I can see most large business are using SONET protocols at the data link and physical layers, not ISDN.
ISDN is pretty much obsolete here in the US except as a local services feature since many PBXs still require the signaling for Real Time ANI and screen pops, in a data network it's mostly only used as a backup, but even that's going away with our wireless WAN disaster recovery service.

Anttech said:
There probably won't be any need, home users will never need to route that much data.. What is probably going to happen is latency times will decrease as switching techniques become faster and faster.

Bandwidth and latency are not the same thing.

Wasn't there a famous quote of someone saying home users would never need to exceed 14.4 or 28.8kbps...

I still don't see a need to have speeds as fast as 28 kbps. :rolleyes:

ISDN is pretty much obsolete here in the US except as a local services feature since many PBXs still require the signaling for Real Time ANI and screen pops, in a data network it's mostly only used as a backup, but even that's going away with our wireless WAN disaster recovery service.

yep, that's exactly what I said.. I know you are aware that T1 and T3 are ISDN technologies (DS)?

DSL doesn't have the reliability, mean time to repair, or SLAs that dedicated access has, so it's considered a step backwards to go from dedicated T1 to any type of DSL.
Actually BUISNESS grade dsl does.. You should see the SLA I have on some of our sites here.. I can call the MD (CEO) of the ISP if a problem isn't resolved in 24Hours, I have his Direct Number

We already assign static IP addresses for our wireless connection cards to use in wireless WANs as a replacement for hardwired frame sites.
Sure.. But not over GSM you dont.. And especially not in the states.. GSM technology is going IP, I wasnt talking about wireless

Last edited:

Dont mix up speed and bandwidth.. There arent one and the same. Anyway I can't think of any reason why on Earth someone would need to pass 50Tb/s of Data, only the top teir ISP that are converging there networks use these routers on the backbone. Basically they are routing traffic for millions of people.

What bandwidth would be needed to stream HD video?
Because that will definitely be needed be home computer users.

yes I know, what we already have in theory could do that.. I am unsure about how compressed that formate is or isnt, so I can't say for sure.. But IMO Broadband 4Mb and up could handle it, even in Asynchronous mode

Nothing000 said:
very funny.
Funniest techie chitchat about internet connections I've seen on the web in years. :rolleyes:

I use SBC Yahoo DSL. I do have places to go to get free and faster Internet if I want.

Evo said:
Anttech said:
Dont mix up speed and bandwidth..
I didn't mention speed OR bandwidth. What are you talking about?

Anttech said:
Anyway I can't think of any reason why on Earth someone would need to pass 50Tb/s of Data, only the top teir ISP that are converging there networks use these routers on the backbone. Basically they are routing traffic for millions of people.
What are you talking about? The cards go into laptops and desktops computers, this isn't in the backbone.

opps My clipboard needs attention :cool:

I ment to quote penguin not you..

Wasn't there a famous quote of someone saying home users would never need to exceed 14.4 or 28.8kbps...

What are you talking about? The cards go into laptops and desktops computers, this isn't in the backbone.

ermm.. I wasnt talking to u, it was in regard to nothing00 asking about terabit speeds... why did you think I was responding to one of your threads?

I know how wireless cards work!

Last edited:
Anttech said:
I know you are aware that T1 and T3 are ISDN technologies (DS)?
It's not the same thing. ISDN can be added (adding the out of band signaling), ISDN - Integrated Services Digital Network DS - Digital Service - a hierarchy of digital signal speeds for classification of lines and trunks. A T1 (DS1) does not come with ISDN on it, it has to be added (if needed) and a client has to have special equipment to use it.

Actually BUISNESS grade dsl does.. You should see the SLA I have on some of our sites here.. I can call the MD (CEO) of the ISP if a problem isn't resolved in 24Hours, I have his Direct Number
"Business grade" DSL is substandard to T1, T3, etc... The mean time to repair for DS1 is 4 hours if dispatch is needed, much faster without dispatch.

Sure.. But not over GSM you dont.. And especially not in the states.. GSM technology is going IP, I wasnt talking about wireless
GSM is wireless. :smile: