Solving a Sailboat Force Problem: Acceleration Mag & Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a sailboat's acceleration given the forces acting on it. The method of solving involves drawing a vector diagram and using Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry to find the resultant force. The person asking for help requests for a step-by-step guide.
atse1900
Hello,I was wondering how do you solve for this problem?
Yea, I thought about setting up a free body diagram but didn't didn't know which way to point the vectors.

The problem is this:

The force of on the sails of a sailboat is 390 N north.The water exerts a froce of 180 N east. If the boat (including) has a mass of 270 kg, what are the magintude and direction of its acceleration?

Yep, can someone help me out. Please.

lol k.
: ].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the resultant, draw a vector diagram of the vectors involve to make a right angled triangle so that they follow each other, i.e. the arrowhead of the first vector leads to the tail of the other. Then draw in the hyp and use pythag and trig to calculate the hyp giving you the resultant force.

I still don't understand how you would solve it. Can you guide me through the steps?

1. What is the force problem when it comes to sailing?

The force problem in sailing refers to the forces acting on a sailboat, which determine its acceleration, direction, and speed. These forces include wind, water resistance, and gravitational forces.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a sailboat?

The acceleration of a sailboat can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the boat by its mass. This can be represented by the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

3. What is the magnitude of the force applied to a sailboat?

The magnitude of the force applied to a sailboat is dependent on the strength and direction of the wind, as well as the boat's size and shape. The larger the sailboat and the stronger the wind, the greater the force applied.

4. How do you determine the direction of acceleration for a sailboat?

The direction of acceleration for a sailboat is determined by the net force acting on the boat. If the net force is in the same direction as the boat's motion, it will accelerate in that direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate or change direction.

5. How can you use a force diagram to solve a sailboat force problem?

A force diagram, also known as a free-body diagram, can be used to visually represent the forces acting on a sailboat. By labeling the forces and their directions on the diagram, you can determine the net force and use it to calculate the boat's acceleration, direction, and speed.