How do I find the geometric definition of (i+J)cross(i-j)?

In summary, the conversation is about using geometric definitions to find the cross product (i+j) cross (i-j) and the angle between two vectors, v=(i+j) and w=(i-j). The formula for finding the cross product is discussed, as well as the confusion about the solution manual showing an incorrect angle of pi/4 instead of pi/2. The use of LaTeX is mentioned to make writing mathematical equations easier to read. The correct angle is determined to be pi/2, and frustration is expressed towards the publisher for causing confusion. The correct notation for absolute values and norms is also mentioned.
HappMatt
heres the problem.

im supposed to use geometric definition to find. (i+J)cross(i-j)

I know: v x w=IIvIIIIwIISin[theta] and that The answer comes out to be -2k

But what i don't get is looking at the solution manual they show [theta]=pi/4 which i have know clue where that comes from.

I was thinking that i could use (v)dot(w) =Cos[theta] to get[theta] but that ends up being pi/2 not pi/4 like the solution manual says.

I think the solution maunual is wrong after futher review [Theta} should equal pi/2, not Pi/4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you did not preview your post. Or maybe I'm drunk and don't know it... but what are you saying?

well i think i may have wasted an hour due to 2 things,
1: the soution manual is wrong [theta]=pi/2
2:the dot product equals 2 and for somereason i was taking the inverse sign instead of the inverse cosine wheni entered it so that was confusing me. I think i can chaulk this mistake up to dyslexia possibly though.

if I am still wrong please correct me(ps but not on my spelling/grammer that has always sucked only slightly improves every yr).

Oh wait...

IIvII = [itex] |\vec v | [/itex]

I guess I'm confused with this:

[tex] (i+J) \times (i - j) [/tex]

is [itex] i [/itex] supposed to be [itex] \hat i [/itex], or a complex number, or what?

You also have [itex] J [/itex] and [itex] j [/itex] so that is confusing...

you're grammar seems to be fine, it the way you express the mathematical statements that I'm unsure...

FrogPad said:
Oh wait...

i totally need this latex thing to simplify life
FrogPad said:
Oh wait...

no but i think this may be right
[itex] ||\vec v || [/itex]

sorry about the confusion i should probally go and figure out that whole latex way of writting stuff out as to make it easier to read.

So here is the question re stated what is the angle between the 2 vectors v and w where:
v=(i+j)
w=(i-j)

How do you find the angle between two vectors in two dimensional space?

FrogPad said:
How do you find the angle between two vectors in two dimensional space?
yeah i guess that's another way of saying it, but i think i figued it out.

what did you get?In regards to this question:
So here is the question re stated what is the angle between the 2 vectors v and w where:
v=(i+j)
w=(i-j)I got pi/2... but shoot, it's been awhile. Maybe I'm doing this wrong.

FrogPad said:
what did you get?

In regards to this question:
v=(i+j)
w=(i-j)

I got pi/2... but shoot, it's been awhile. Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
i think your right its the darn solution manual and the people at Wiley publishing that have no clue what they are doing.

I hate crap like that. It makes you second guess what you are doing, even when you are doing it right.

If you're typing equations in ASCII, you should use the pipe symbol (|) to denote absolute values, norms, and stuff:

||v x w|| = ||v|| ||w|| |sin theta|

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol ×.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product between two vectors, a and b, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix where the first row is the unit vectors i, j, and k, the second row is the components of vector a, and the third row is the components of vector b. The resulting vector is in the direction of the right-hand rule.

3. What is the physical significance of the cross product?

The cross product has many physical applications, including determining torque in rotational motion, calculating magnetic fields, and finding the direction of the angular momentum of a spinning object.

4. How is the cross product related to the dot product?

The dot product and the cross product are two different mathematical operations involving vectors. While the dot product results in a scalar value representing the projection of one vector onto another, the cross product results in a vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors.

5. Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

The cross product is only defined in three-dimensional space. However, there are generalizations of the cross product for higher dimensions, such as the exterior product and the wedge product.