To Study Math or not to Study Math

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses whether one needs to be good at math to study it at university and if hard work and passion can make up for lack of natural intelligence. The participants agree that discipline and effort can help one succeed in math, regardless of their background or ethnicity. They also mention seeking help from others if struggling, and the idea that not everyone may be able to understand math no matter how hard they try.
lo2
(Awesome title I know that)

But what I would like to ask you, is do you have to be a real good at Math to study it at the Uni. Or can you get through if you work hard and keep the passion intact. Of Course you cannot get through if you are someone completely stupid, but here I am just talking a normal guy who has quit High School with OK grade, could he fulfill a Math study at the Uni?

Likes Witcher
Mathematics news on Phys.org
asian or not?

Likes Witcher
I think that discipline can more than make up for lack of outward brilliance. I've seen that time and again.

Likes Witcher
Daverz said:
I think that discipline can more than make up for lack of outward brilliance. I've seen that time and again.

depends if his asian or not though

I am not asian I am european.

lo2 said:
(Awesome title I know that)

But what I would like to ask you, is do you have to be a real good at Math to study it at the Uni. Or can you get through if you work hard and keep the passion intact. Of Course you cannot get through if you are someone completely stupid, but here I am just talking a normal guy who has quit High School with OK grade, could he fulfill a Math study at the Uni?
Uhm, yes, I think you can. When there's will, there's a way, so if you try it, you can make it. Don't worry. :)
One of my teacher said that "There's no bad students, just lazy ones". If you don't feel very comfortable at maths, but still want to learn maths, then you can re-read the books again to make sure you understand everything. If that doesn't help, you can ask your friends, or even a tutor to help you out. Hopefully, if you try hard, everything will be fine. :smile:
-----------------
By the way, what's difference between an Asian, and a non-Asian?? :confused:

Yeah of course. I hope that you are right. But I think that not all people can complete a math study no matter how hard they work. Some are just too stupid and simply cannot understand math even the basic.

1. Should I study math even if it's not my favorite subject?

Yes, studying math can improve critical thinking skills and help you excel in other subjects and real-world problem-solving. It also opens up opportunities for careers in various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and technology.

2. Is math necessary for everyday life?

Yes, math is used in everyday tasks such as budgeting, cooking, and understanding measurements. It also helps improve logical thinking and decision-making skills.

3. Can I be successful without studying math?

While success can be achieved without studying math, having a good foundation in math can give you an advantage in many fields and help you understand complex concepts in other subjects.

4. Is math only for those who are naturally good at it?

No, anyone can learn and improve their math skills with practice and dedication. It's important to have a growth mindset and not be discouraged by initial difficulties.

5. How can I make studying math more enjoyable?

There are many ways to make studying math more enjoyable, such as finding real-world applications for math concepts, using visual aids, and collaborating with peers. It's also important to have a positive attitude towards math and celebrate small successes along the way.