How Fast Do Protons Travel in a Tevatron Accelerator?

In summary: Keep in mind that the values given in the parentheses are the total kinetic energy at the end of each stage, not the kinetic energy added at each stage. So, for the first stage, the kinetic energy added is 750 KeV, not 750000 eV. Overall, your method and calculations seem to be correct. Just double check your conversions and units to make sure everything is consistent. In summary, the Tevatron accelerator at Fermilab boosts protons to 1 TeV in five stages (Cockcroft-Walton, Linac, Booster, Main ring or injector, and Tevatron itself). The kinetic energy at the end of each stage is given in parentheses. To calculate the speed of the proton
EbolaPox
I just want to make sure I'm on the right track with this problem. The problem states:

"The Tevatron accelerator at the Fermi National Acclerator Laboratory (Fermilab) outside Chicago boosts protons to 1 TeV (1000 GeV) in five stages (the numbers given in parentheses represent the total kinetic energy at the end of each stage):

Cockcroft-Walton (750 KeV), Linac(400 MeV), Booseter (8 GeV), Main ring or injector (150 GeV), and finally the tevatron itself (1 TeV). What is the speed of the proton at the end of each stage?"

I'm going to show what I did for the first one. I just want to know if I'm on the right track or not.

My work:

Let K denote the kinetic energy of the proton. Because the proton is going quite fast, relativistic energy equations will probably be needed so

K = ([tex] (\gamma -1)mc^2 [/tex]

and [tex] \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

I will solve for velocity in terms of kinetic energy and mass.

[tex] K = (\gamma -1)mc^2 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{K}{mc^2} + 1 = \gamma [/tex]

[tex]\frac{K + mc^2}{mc^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{mc^2}{K+mc^2} = \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

Let [tex] a \equiv mc^2 [/tex]

Then,

[tex] \frac{a^2}{(K+a)^2} = 1 - v^2/c^2 [/tex]

[tex] \beta = v/c [/tex]

[tex] (\beta)^2 = 1 - \frac{a^2}{(K + a)^2} [/tex]

[tex] \beta = \sqrt{1 - \frac{a^2}{(K + a)^2}}
[/tex]
So, that's the algebra I used to get an expression for v (or Beta in this case). Now, the first stage ends with a Kinetic Energy of 750 KeV = 750*1000 eV = 750000 eV. Now, converting that to Joules is a simple task, 750000eV * 1.6022 * 10^(-19) Joules / eV = 1.202 * 10^-13

Also, the value a above = mc^2 can be evaluated to equal 1.50 * 10^-10.

So,

[tex] \beta = \sqrt{1 - \frac{(1.50*10^-10)^2}{(1.202 * 10^(-13) + 1.50* 10^(-10))^2}} [/tex]

I hope all that tex came out legibly. If that looks right, great. If it's wrong, just a hint or something would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok to me.

Your approach looks correct. You correctly used the relativistic energy equation to solve for velocity in terms of kinetic energy and mass. Your conversion of kinetic energy from eV to Joules is also correct. However, I noticed a small error in your calculation of a, which should be 1.50 * 10^-13 instead of 1.50 * 10^-10. This will result in a slightly different value for \beta.

To check your work, you can use the equation \beta = \sqrt{1 - (mc^2/(K+mc^2))^2} to calculate the velocity for each stage, using the values for K and m given in the problem. Your values for \beta should match the ones provided in the problem for each stage.

Overall, your approach and calculations seem correct. Keep up the good work!

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

What is the kinetic energy of a proton?

The kinetic energy of a proton depends on its velocity. It can range from very low values, such as 0.1 electron volts (eV), to very high values, such as 1 tera electron volts (TeV).

How is the kinetic energy of a proton calculated?

The kinetic energy of a proton can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the proton and v is its velocity.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a proton?

The kinetic energy of a proton is affected by its mass and velocity. As the mass or velocity of the proton increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

Why is the kinetic energy of a proton important in scientific research?

The kinetic energy of a proton is important in scientific research because it can be used to study the behavior and properties of particles in high-energy physics experiments. It can also be used in medical applications, such as proton therapy for treating cancer.