Alpha particles with RBE, energy question

In summary: Sorry, I was running out of attempts on WebAssign, and didn't want to risk it by misinterpreting your advice. Thank you!
FlipStyle1308

Homework Statement

Alpha particles with an RBE of 13 deliver a 53 mrad whole-body radiation dose to a 65 kg patient.
(a) What dosage, in rem, does the patient receive?
(b) How much energy is absorbed by the patient (in mJ)?

Homework Equations

dose in rem = dose in rad x RBE

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly answered part (a), getting 0.689J/kg as my answer. For part (b), I then multipled the answer from (a) by 65kg, which equals 44.785 J, or 44,785 mJ. However, my answer is incorrect. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FlipStyle1308 said:

Homework Statement

Alpha particles with an RBE of 13 deliver a 53 mrad whole-body radiation dose to a 65 kg patient.
(a) What dosage, in rem, does the patient receive?
(b) How much energy is absorbed by the patient (in mJ)?

Homework Equations

dose in rem = dose in rad x RBE

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly answered part (a), getting 0.689J/kg as my answer. For part (b), I then multipled the answer from (a) by 65kg, which equals 44.785 J, or 44,785 mJ. However, my answer is incorrect. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.

My guess is you should be using rads for part b, since that is the measure of the actual energy, while rem is some attempt to quantify the damage caused by a certain amount of energy absorption.

Part a) should still be in units of rem so that it is apparent that this is absorbed dose in a human. For part b), the actual energy that is absorbed has nothing to do with the RBE. RBE is only a measure of a tissue's sensitivity to a type of radiation, not an energy (well, except for neutrons which have varying RBEs depending on neutron energy).

daveb said:
Part a) should still be in units of rem so that it is apparent that this is absorbed dose in a human. For part b), the actual energy that is absorbed has nothing to do with the RBE. RBE is only a measure of a tissue's sensitivity to a type of radiation, not an energy (well, except for neutrons which have varying RBEs depending on neutron energy).

So what equation should I be using? My book only gives me:
RBE = (dose of 200-kV X-rays necessary to produce a given biological effect)/(dose of a particular type of radiation necessary to produce the same biological effect)
and dose in rem = dose in rad X RBE

FlipStyle1308 said:
So what equation should I be using? My book only gives me:
RBE = (dose of 200-kV X-rays necessary to produce a given biological effect)/(dose of a particular type of radiation necessary to produce the same biological effect)
and dose in rem = dose in rad X RBE

It should also give you the definition of a rad as 0.01 Joules per kilogram of mass.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictR.html

OlderDan said:
It should also give you the definition of a rad as 0.01 Joules per kilogram of mass.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictR.html

Hmm, thanks. So (68.9 rad)(13) = 895.7 J/kg
895.7 J/kg x 65 kg = 58220.5 J = 58220500 mJ?

Last edited:
FlipStyle1308 said:
Hmm, thanks. So (68.9 rad)(13) = 895.7 J/kg
895.7 J/kg x 65 kg = 58220.5 J = 58220500 mJ?

There is no 13. 53mrad = 53*.01 mJ/kg (the m in mJ comes from the m in mrad). Multiply that by the body mass and you get mJoules of energy. The RBE of 13 means that this much energy from alpha particles is more damaging than the reference radiation that corresponds to RBE = 1, but it does not change the actual energy absorption.

OlderDan said:
There is no 13. 53mrad = 53*.01 mJ/kg (the m in mJ comes from the m in mrad). Multiply that by the body mass and you get mJoules of energy. The RBE of 13 means that this much energy from alpha particles is more damaging than the reference radiation that corresponds to RBE = 1, but it does not change the actual energy absorption.

So my answer should be 3445 mJ? It's still incorrect.

FlipStyle1308 said:
So my answer should be 3445 mJ? It's still incorrect.

That is not correct. You left out the factor of 0.01

It is 53 mrad * .01 J/kg/rad * 65 kg

Oh, so 34.45 mJ?

Bump, can someone please check my answer?

FlipStyle1308 said:
Bump, can someone please check my answer?

Do you really need someone to confirm that you multiplied correctly?

OlderDan said:
That is not correct. You left out the factor of 0.01

It is 53 mrad * .01 J/kg/rad * 65 kg

OlderDan said:
Do you really need someone to confirm that you multiplied correctly?

Sorry, I was running out of attempts on WebAssign, and didn't want to risk it by misinterpreting your advice. Thank you!

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are a type of ionizing radiation that consists of two protons and two neutrons. They are emitted from the nuclei of some unstable atoms and have a positive charge.

2. What is RBE?

RBE stands for "relative biological effectiveness" and is a measure of the biological damage caused by different types of radiation. It compares the effectiveness of alpha particles to the standard radiation used for measuring radiation exposure, X-rays.

3. How does RBE vary for alpha particles?

The RBE for alpha particles varies depending on the energy and type of tissue they interact with. Generally, it is higher for densely ionizing radiation like alpha particles compared to sparsely ionizing radiation like X-rays.

4. How does energy affect the biological effects of alpha particles?

The energy of alpha particles is directly related to their RBE. Higher energy alpha particles have a higher RBE and are more damaging to biological tissues. This is because they deposit more energy in a smaller area, causing more damage to cells and DNA.

5. What are the potential health effects of exposure to alpha particles?

Exposure to alpha particles can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to potential health effects such as cancer or genetic mutations. The severity of these effects depends on the dose and duration of exposure, as well as the type of tissue affected.