Magnetic Force on segment of wire

B} is the magnetic field. In this case, the current is 30 A, the length of the wire is 6m along the x-axis and 5.5m along the z-axis, and the magnetic field is 14mT in the positive z direction. Plugging in these values, we get a magnetic force of 252 N. In summary, the magnetic force on the segment of wire is 252 N.
Aerospace
A segment of wire carries a current of 30 A along the x-axis from x=-6m to x=0 and then along the z axis from z=0 to z=5.5m. In this region of space, the magnetic field is equal to 14mT in the positive z direction. What is the magnitude F of the force on the segment of wire? Answer in units of N.

I'm not sure what formula to use, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Aerospace
I'm not sure what formula to use, can anyone help?
The magnetic force on a segment of current-carrying wire is:
[tex]F = i\vec{l} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

To calculate the magnetic force on the segment of wire, we can use the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

In this case, we can break up the segment of wire into two parts: one along the x-axis and one along the z-axis. The force on each part will be in a different direction, so we need to calculate them separately.

For the segment along the x-axis, the length L = 6m and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field is 90 degrees, so sin(theta) = 1. Plugging in the values, we get F = (30 A) * (6m) * (14 mT) * (1) = 2520 N.

For the segment along the z-axis, the length L = 5.5m and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field is 0 degrees, so sin(theta) = 0. Plugging in the values, we get F = (30 A) * (5.5m) * (14 mT) * (0) = 0 N.

Therefore, the total force on the segment of wire is 2520 N.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is the force that is exerted on a charged particle or a current-carrying wire by a magnetic field. It is a vector quantity and can either attract or repel objects.

How does magnetic force affect a segment of wire?

Magnetic force on a segment of wire is determined by the direction and magnitude of the current flowing through the wire, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The force can cause the wire to move or experience a torque.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force on a wire?

The strength of magnetic force on a wire depends on the current, length, and orientation of the wire in the magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field itself also plays a role in determining the force.

Can magnetic force be used to do work on a wire?

Yes, magnetic force can be used to do work on a wire. For example, electric motors use magnetic force to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing the wire to rotate and perform work.

What are some real-world applications of magnetic force on a wire?

Magnetic force on a wire is used in various technologies, including generators, motors, speakers, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.