Thermodynamic equilibrium and Entropy

In summary, for an infinitesimal reversible process, heat transfer dQ and entropy change dS are inversely proportional. For an irreversible process, dQ<TdS. The equilibrium condition for an isolated system is when dS=0.
DieCommie
I got this question wrong on a test:

What is the equilibrium condition for an isolated system?

I think the answer he wanted is the system is a maximum entropy, and that makes sense to me. But I put dS =0, which I think is basically the same thing. dS would be zero iff the system is at maximum entropy.

Or am I way off? :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\Delta S=0[/tex] is the condition for equilibrium for a completely isolated system.

The entropy of the system will increase according to the second law until the system hits maximum entropy, at which point
[tex]\Delta S=0[/tex]

Saying this should be the same as saying that the entropy is at a maximum.

Was there any other information given with the question?

Last edited:
The full question is this

Write down the relationship between heat transfer dQ and entropy change dS for an infinitesimal reversible process, in which heat is supplied to a system at temperature T. How is this expression modified for an irreversible process? What is the equilibrium condition for an isolated system?I got the first two parts right. After looking at it again, I think I go half credit for the dS=0.

Well, I'm assuming for one of the first two parts that you stated somewhere that:

[tex]\Delta S = \int\frac{dq}{T}[/tex]

For [tex]\Delta S[/tex] to be zero, dq would also have to be constant at 0. Maybe your professor wanted you to state the heat transfer would also have to be zero. You may want to discuss this problem with him.

I'm no expert though, maybe someone else here has a little more insight, but I agree with you.

I did write down that integral for clausius' theorem.The first two parts...

"Write down the relationship between heat transfer dQ and entropy change dS for an infinitesimal reversible process, in which heat is supplied to a system at temperature T." dQ=TdS

"How is this expression modified for an irreversible process?" dQ<TdS

"What is the equilibrium condition for an isolated system?" I put dS=0. My classmate put "The system is at maximum equilibrium" and got it right.

Im not going to argue the half point with him, as that will do me no good. I am going to ask him if dS=0 is an equilibrium condition.

G01 said:
Well, I'm assuming for one of the first two parts that you stated somewhere that:

[tex]\Delta S = \int\frac{dq}{T}[/tex]

For [tex]\Delta S[/tex] to be zero, dq would also have to be constant at 0.
Not so. In order to determine the total change in entropy when heat flows, you have to look at the system and surroundings, which includes both reservoirs.

[tex]\Delta S = \Delta S_H + \Delta S_C = \int dS_H + \int dS_C = \int dQ_H/T_H + \int dQ_C/T_C[/tex]

So for [itex]\Delta S = 0[/itex]:

[tex]\int dQ_H/T_H + \int dQ_C/T_C = 0[/tex]

[tex]\int dQ_H/T_H = - \int dQ_C/T_C[/tex]

AM

DieCommie said:
The full question is this

Write down the relationship between heat transfer dQ and entropy change dS for an infinitesimal reversible process, in which heat is supplied to a system at temperature T. How is this expression modified for an irreversible process? What is the equilibrium condition for an isolated system?
Since the temperature difference is infinitesimal, [itex]T_H = T_C[/itex] and [itex]Q_H = -Q_C[/itex], [itex]dS_H = dQ_H/T_H[/itex] and [itex]dS_C = dQ_C/T_C = -Q_H/T_H[/itex], so

[itex]dS = dS_H + dS_C = dQ_H/T_H - dQ_H/T_H = 0[/itex]

If the temperature difference is non-zero, [itex]T_H > T_C[/itex] and [itex]Q_H = -Q_C[/itex], [itex]dS_H = dQ_H/T_H[/itex] and [itex]dS_C = dQ_C/T_C > -Q_H/T_H[/itex], so

[itex]dS = dS_C + dS_H = dQ_C/T_C - dQ_H/T_H > 0[/itex]

So these are the only two possibilities for a system moving to thermal equilibrium. What is the condition for thermal equilibrium then, in terms of dS?

AM

Last edited:

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is a state in which all parts of a system are in balance and no longer undergoing any changes or reactions. It is characterized by a lack of gradients or imbalances in temperature, pressure, and other thermodynamic variables.

2. How is thermodynamic equilibrium related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamic equilibrium, the entropy of a system is at its maximum because there are no longer any energy or matter flows within the system. This means that the system has reached a state of maximum disorder, or maximum entropy.

3. Can thermodynamic equilibrium be reached spontaneously?

Yes, thermodynamic equilibrium can be reached spontaneously in an isolated system. This means that without any external influences, the system will naturally reach a state of thermodynamic equilibrium over time.

4. How does entropy change in a closed system?

In a closed system, entropy can only increase or remain constant. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics. This law states that in any natural process, the total entropy of a closed system and its surroundings will either increase or stay the same.

5. Can entropy be reversed?

No, entropy cannot be reversed. The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase or remain constant. Therefore, entropy can only be decreased or kept constant, but it cannot be completely reversed.