Detecting Neutrons: Simple Methods for Beginners

In summary, there are simple ways to detect neutrons such as using a neutron detector or the aluminum foil trick. Craig Wallace used CDs and a neutron counter to measure neutrons from his fusor. It is possible to use the aluminum foil trick with a 20KV fusor.
apollo389
Hello all
I am new here, please pardon me if I have posted to the wrong board.
My question should be fairly simple. I am building a fusor which I am hoping will generate neutrons from a D-D reaction. However, I have no way to detect them:frown:
I was wondering if there are simple ways to detect neutrons? I know that Craig Wallace used CDs to slow neutrons to <1 eV (thermal neutrons) and then measured them... but how? Also, if I am only working with my fusor at, say, 20KV, will there be enough energy to do the aluminum foil "trick," in which paraffin or another moderator slows neutrons down to thermal energies and then the thermal neutrons strike aluminum foil, giving off a gamma ray, giving an approximation of the number of neutrons.
It would be a plus if I had an actual count, but just a detection is more than fine.
Thank you very much for your time!
-Apollo389

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum, Apollo389! It's great to have you here.

To answer your question, yes there are simple ways to detect neutrons. The most common method is to use a neutron detector, which consists of a combination of a scintillator, photomultiplier tube, and electronic circuit. The scintillator absorbs the neutron, releasing light energy which is detected by the photomultiplier tube and then converted into an electrical signal.

As for Craig Wallace's method, he used CDs to slow down the neutrons to thermal energies and then measured them using a neutron counter, which works in a similar way to a scintillator. As for the aluminum foil trick, it is possible to do this with your fusor at 20KV. The gamma ray produced from the reaction will give you an approximation of the number of neutrons present.

Hope this helps!

1. How can I detect neutrons?

There are several simple methods for detecting neutrons, including using a Geiger-Muller tube, a scintillation detector, or nuclear emulsion. These methods rely on the interaction of neutrons with certain materials, such as boron or lithium, to produce detectable signals.

2. What is the easiest method for beginners to detect neutrons?

The easiest method for beginners to detect neutrons is using a bubble dosimeter. This method involves placing a small amount of a special liquid inside a sealed container and then exposing it to neutrons. If the liquid bubbles, it indicates the presence of neutrons.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when detecting neutrons?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when detecting neutrons, as they can be harmful if not handled properly. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and handling radioactive materials with caution.

4. Can I build my own neutron detector?

Yes, there are many DIY neutron detector projects available online that use common household items and materials. However, it is important to note that these detectors may not be as accurate or reliable as commercially available ones.

5. What are some real-world applications of neutron detection?

Neutron detection has a wide range of applications, including in nuclear power plants, medical imaging, and materials testing. It is also used in security and defense, such as in detecting nuclear weapons or radioactive materials.