What is the relationship between the value of g and the distance from Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the value of g and r, as well as the setup for Newton's universal law of gravitation. In the attempt at a solution, the equation W = mg = GMm\ \frac{1}{r^2} is mentioned, and the hint is to use the equation g = GM\ \frac{1}{r^2}. The conversation also addresses the role of the minus sign in the equation and its connection to the change in gravitational acceleration. Some classmates suggest that the proof may involve Taylor series.
becca4

Homework Statement

scan0002.jpg

Homework Equations

So I know that there's an inverse relationship between the value of g and r; the farther I get away from earth, the weaker the gravitational force -> weaker acceleration...

BUT I'm not sure how the (1-x)^-2 thing is related, need help with that. Also, how do I set up for Newton's universal law of gravitation?

The Attempt at a Solution

Uh... In process. :eek:)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
From Newton's universal gravitational law we have:

[tex]W = mg = GMm\ \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

following

[tex]g = GM\ \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

now use the hint ...

I still don't really understand... :grumpy:

in Newtons equation, put distance=(re+delta r)

then write it as d= re(1+ (delta r/re))

d has a power of -2

and at 100 km. "delta r/re" is between -1 and 1 since the radius of the Earth is greater than 100 km

does this help or do you need more?

I think I almost have it. The only thing that I'm still wondering is about the relation part, what does the minus sign mean?

because you are given an equation that is stating the change in g (delta g), that minus indicates a decrease.
think about what happens to g as the distance from the center of the Earth increases by considering Newton's equation

the minus sign means that for a positive [tex]\Delta r[/tex] (going further up) the change in the gravitational acceleration decreases (is negative). So that the new gravitational acceleration is given by

[tex]g_{new} = g_{old} + \Delta g[/tex]

Ok, sorry to bring this up again.

Talking to some of my classmates, some of them think that this is supposed to be a proof using Taylor series stuff, and that at the end that's where the -2 comes from. Any thoughts on that?

1. What is the approximate value of g?

The approximate value of g is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface.

2. How is the approximate value of g calculated?

The approximate value of g is calculated by dividing the force of gravity (weight) on an object by its mass. This calculation is represented by the formula g = F/m.

3. Does the approximate value of g vary on different planets?

Yes, the approximate value of g varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the value of g on the moon is approximately 1.6 m/s², while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s².

4. How does altitude affect the approximate value of g?

The approximate value of g decreases as altitude increases. This is because the distance between an object and the center of the Earth increases as altitude increases, resulting in a weaker gravitational pull.

5. Can the approximate value of g change over time?

Yes, the approximate value of g can change over time due to factors such as changes in the Earth's rotation or mass distribution. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable in everyday life.