Transmission Error Detection

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a high degree of confidence in detecting errors in a fixed size packet of information. The use of CRC is suggested, but the form of CRC is unknown. The speaker also mentions the desire to specify a value for the likelihood of failure to detect an error. E.Shannon's theorem is mentioned as a resource for determining the necessary level of error correction for a given degree of failure on a noisy channel. The effectiveness of different error correcting codes is also discussed.
Emanresu
Hi,

I have a small fixed size packet of information that I want to transmit and detect errors with a high degree of confidence (no correction is required). I'm guessing that a CRC is probably the way to go but don't know how to work out what form of CRC to use. I want to be able to specify a value for the likelihood of failure to detect an error.

If for example I wanted the likelihood of failure to detect an error to be 1 in a billion when the probability of an error is high, say 10%, how do I work out how to achieve this ?

E.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shannon's theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon's_theorem tells you how much error correction you need for a given degree of failure on a noisy channel.
In practice it largely depends on if you expect the noise to be fairly constant, changing bits in each word, or bursty, corrupting long sequences of data.
The wiki link has good links to different error correcting codes.

Hi E,

Thank you for your question. You are correct that a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is a commonly used method for error detection in data transmission. It works by generating a checksum, or a unique value, based on the data being transmitted. This checksum is then sent along with the data and is used by the receiver to compare with the checksum it calculates from the received data. If the two checksums match, it is assumed that the data was transmitted without any errors. However, if the checksums do not match, it indicates that an error has occurred during transmission.

To determine what form of CRC to use, you will need to consider the length of your data packet and the level of error detection you require. There are different types of CRCs, each with a different number of bits used for the checksum. Generally, the longer the checksum, the higher the likelihood of detecting errors. You can use online CRC calculators to determine the appropriate CRC for your specific needs.

In order to achieve a likelihood of failure to detect an error of 1 in a billion when the probability of an error is 10%, you will need to use a CRC with a longer checksum. This will increase the chances of detecting errors, but keep in mind that there is always a possibility of errors slipping through, even with a highly reliable CRC. It is also important to note that the likelihood of failure to detect an error is also affected by factors such as the quality of the transmission channel and the sensitivity of the receiving equipment.

I hope this helps answer your question. Good luck with your data transmission!

What is transmission error detection?

Transmission error detection is a process used in data communication to identify and correct errors that occur during the transmission of data from one device to another.

Why is transmission error detection important?

Transmission error detection is important because it ensures the accuracy and integrity of data being transmitted, reducing the risk of data corruption and loss of important information.

How does transmission error detection work?

Transmission error detection works by adding extra bits, known as checksum, to the original data before it is transmitted. The receiving device then uses these bits to check for any errors in the data and request for retransmission if necessary.

What are the common methods of transmission error detection?

The common methods of transmission error detection include parity checking, checksum, cyclic redundancy check (CRC), and forward error correction (FEC).

Can transmission error detection prevent all errors?

No, transmission error detection cannot prevent all errors. It can only detect and correct errors that occur during the transmission of data. It cannot prevent errors that occur at the source or destination of the data.