Exponential Functions Homework: Proving at Least Two Solutions for 2^x = x^3

In summary, the equation 2^x = x^3 has at least two solutions. One solution can be found between 1 and 3, and another solution can be found between 3 and 10. An alternative method is to show that the equation is true for two or more different values of x. One possible approach is to use logarithms to simplify the equation.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

2^x =x^3

show that the equation has at least two solutions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got xln2=3lnx but I don't know what I could do from here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a differnet approach and thought about finding values where 2^x < x^3 then where 2^x > x^3

I found that between 1 and 3 there is a solution idk where the other one is though.

Try x=10.

i got f(2) = -4 f(0)=1 and it is continuos on this interval so there is a zero here and then

f(4) = -16
f(10) =24
and it is also continuous here so here is a zero

I subtracted the RHS so the equation is 2^x - x^3 =0

I just want to make sure this is a valid way to do this problem. And wondering if there is an easier way to pick points where I think a zero may occur other than guessing.

Well.. by the problem description, all you have to show is that there is 2 or more points which the equation is true, and if you can "literally" find the points that satisfies the equation, this definitely answers the question.

try this

2^x>x^3
you do logarithm operation on both of them

x* log 2 >3* log x (based 10)

x>[3/(log2)] * log x

now i think its easier to find this number by guessing

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is a variable. It is characterized by a rapidly increasing or decreasing graph and is commonly used to model growth or decay.

2. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can create a table of values by plugging in different values for x and solving for f(x). Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use the properties of exponential functions to make a sketch of the graph.

3. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. If the equation is in the form a^x = b, you can take the log of both sides using the base a. If the equation is in the form a^x = c, you can take the log of both sides using any base and then use the change of base formula to solve for x.

4. What are some real-life applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions are commonly used to model population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and the spread of diseases. They can also be used in fields such as physics, biology, and finance to describe processes that involve rapid growth or decay.

5. How are exponential functions different from linear functions?

Exponential functions have a variable in the exponent, while linear functions have a variable in the base. This results in a different rate of change for each function. Exponential functions also have a non-constant rate of change, while linear functions have a constant rate of change.