Explore 3 Career Choices: Astrophysics, Civil Engineering, Business

In summary, the person is considering three options for university: astrophysics, civil engineering, and business with a focus on becoming a corporate lawyer. They have a preference for space, physics, aliens, and law, but not chemistry. They have questions about finding a job in astrophysics and civil engineering and whether civil engineering is truly the easiest option. The speaker advises not to choose a field based on perceived ease, as civil engineering still requires a lot of work.
CanadianPhys
Alright so I should probably start thinking about what to do in Uni so here are my 3 choices, and i have some questions about them... I like space,physics, aliens, not so much chem, and law
-Astrophysics(is it easy to find a job?(not teaching). i know it pays pretty good)
-Civil Engineering(I heard it was the easiest of all eng., i know you can find a job here, how hard is it?)Possibly continue to become a lawyer
-Business(at a business school like Shoelich@york) then into Coprarate Lawyer

Physics news on Phys.org
CanadianPhys said:
Alright so I should probably start thinking about what to do in Uni so here are my 3 choices, and i have some questions about them... I like space,physics, aliens, not so much chem, and law
-Astrophysics(is it easy to find a job?(not teaching). i know it pays pretty good)
-Civil Engineering(I heard it was the easiest of all eng., i know you can find a job here, how hard is it?)Possibly continue to become a lawyer
-Business(at a business school like Shoelich@york) then into Coprarate Lawyer

civil is, in general, easier to grasp than electrical, chemical, etc, but it does entail a lot of work. Structural analysis problems take a lot of time, and my civil friends spend more time doing work than I do (mech). Don't go into something like that because you've heard it's easier. You'll feel like your wasting your time for instance, when you take a whole year learning road and highway standards, etc, unless that's somehting you want to do

Last edited:

First of all, it's great that you are already thinking about your future career options! All three of these choices are great and have their own unique opportunities. I can offer some insight into the fields of astrophysics, civil engineering, and business.

Astrophysics is a fascinating field that combines physics and astronomy to study the universe and its components. It involves a lot of math and theoretical work, so if you enjoy those subjects, then this could be a good fit for you. As for job prospects, there is a high demand for astrophysicists in research institutions, government agencies, and even private companies. However, it can be a competitive field, so it's important to have a strong academic background and relevant experience to increase your chances of finding a job.

Civil engineering is also a great career choice, especially if you enjoy problem-solving and working with your hands. Civil engineers are responsible for designing, building, and maintaining infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and buildings. While it may be considered the "easiest" of the engineering fields, it still requires a strong understanding of math and science principles. As for job prospects, there is a high demand for civil engineers in both public and private sectors, and the job market is expected to continue growing in the coming years.

Moving on to business, it is a broad field that offers a variety of career paths. It involves understanding how organizations function and making strategic decisions to help them grow and succeed. Business schools, like the one you mentioned, can provide a strong foundation in business principles and also offer opportunities for internships and networking. Many business graduates go on to work in areas such as finance, marketing, and consulting. If you are interested in becoming a corporate lawyer, a business degree can also be a good starting point.

Ultimately, the best career choice for you will depend on your interests, strengths, and goals. It's important to do your research and gain hands-on experience in each field to see which one you enjoy the most. Also, keep in mind that your career path may not be linear, and you may have the opportunity to combine your interests in different ways. Good luck in your decision-making process!

1. What is the job outlook for each of these career choices?

The job outlook for astrophysics is expected to grow by 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Civil engineering is expected to grow by 2% in the same time period, while business careers have a projected growth of 5%. However, job growth can vary depending on location and industry.

2. What are the educational requirements for these careers?

For astrophysics, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or astronomy is required, with many positions requiring a doctoral degree as well. Civil engineering typically requires a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field. Business careers may require a bachelor's degree in business administration or a specific field such as finance or marketing.

3. Is there a demand for these careers in the current job market?

There is a high demand for professionals in the field of astrophysics, with opportunities in research, academia, and government agencies. Civil engineering also has a steady demand, as there is a constant need for infrastructure and construction projects. Business careers have a diverse range of opportunities and can often be in high demand, depending on the industry and job market.

4. What skills are important for success in these careers?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for success in astrophysics, as well as attention to detail and the ability to work with complex data. Civil engineering requires a strong understanding of math and science, as well as project management and communication skills. Business careers often require a combination of analytical skills, communication, and leadership abilities.

5. What are some potential salary ranges for these careers?

The median annual salary for astrophysicists is around $122,000, while civil engineers have a median salary of $87,060. Business careers can vary greatly in terms of salary, but popular jobs such as financial analysts have a median salary of $83,660.