What is the domain, range, and asymptotes for these exponential functions?

Is that correct?In summary, the conversation is about finding the domain, range, and equations of the asymptotes for two given functions. The first function is y= 1 / (x+3) and the second function is y= (-2 / (x-3)) + 2. The person asking for help is unsure about how to write these functions correctly and how to find the asymptotes. After some clarification, it is determined that the first function is a translation of the basic function 1/x by 3 units to the left. The second function is a translation of -2/(x-3) by 2 units upwards.
striker_77
hey i have some hmwk and need help with a few questions. I would appreciate it if i could get some explanations :)

1i) state the domain, range and the equations of the asymptotes.

a) y= 1 / x+3

b) y= (-2 / x-3) + 2

Physics news on Phys.org
striker_77 said:
hey i have some hmwk and need help with a few questions. I would appreciate it if i could get some explanations :)

1i) state the domain, range and the equations of the asymptotes.

a) y= 1 / x+3

b) y= (-2 / x-3) + 2

You are not writing those properly. That is aside from their not being exponential functions. What you wrote can be exactly represented as:
[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
y = \frac{1}{x} + 3 \\
\\
{\rm AND} \\
\\
y = \,\; - \frac{2}{{x - 3}} + 2 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

yea sorry i didnt know how to write it like that, the second one is right, but for the first one the "+3" is with the denominator.

i think i got the first one :S. is it that i draw the basic function of 1/x, then move that 3 units to the left?

striker_77 said:
i think i got the first one :S. is it that i draw the basic function of 1/x, then move that 3 units to the left?

That is correct.

Which is [tex]y=\frac{1}{x}[/tex] under a translation of [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

First, as the very first thread says, this is NOT the place to post homework! I am moving this to the precalculus- homework forum.

Second, you MUST post some of your own work so we will know what kind of help you need. Writing out the definition of "domain", "range", and "asymptote" might be a good place to start.

Third, if you can't use LaTex, you can certainly use parentheses!

Most people would interpret 1/x+ 3 as (1/x)+ 3. You mean 1/(x+3).

Similarly, most people would interpret (-2 / x-3) + 2 as ((-2/x)- 3)+ 2.
You mean -2/(x-3)+ 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. It is characterized by a constant ratio between successive values of the dependent variable, which results in a steeply increasing or decreasing curve.

What are some real-life applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions are commonly used to model growth or decay in natural phenomena such as population, bacteria growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in finance to model compound interest and in physics to describe processes such as radioactive decay.

How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can first create a table of values by choosing different values for x and then plugging them into the function to find the corresponding y values. These points can then be plotted on a coordinate plane and connected to form a curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to graph an exponential function.

What is the difference between an exponential function and a power function?

An exponential function has a variable in the exponent, while a power function has a variable in the base. This results in a curved graph for an exponential function and a straight line for a power function. Additionally, exponential functions have a constant ratio between successive values, while power functions do not.

How are exponential functions used to solve real-world problems?

Exponential functions can be used to model and predict growth or decay in various real-world situations. For example, they can be used to predict population growth, stock market trends, and the spread of diseases. They can also be used to make financial decisions, such as planning for retirement or investing in stocks.